Cleaning tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new tank

Aquarium Advice Regular
I now have 9 barbs, 3 green, 3 albino and 3 normal black and white tigers. Also 1 pleco, 1 red tail shark and 2 gourmais.
I have a fair white sand substrate and this seems to get very dirty quickly. Is this the norm with sand?
How often should i vac the excess up and should i change or add sand every few months or so??
Cheers fish friends :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How big is your tank, out of curiosity? If you're overstocked, it will get dirty faster. With my sand substrate, I use an Eheim battery powered vac (doesn't do water changes, just sucks up dirt) to vacuum up loose waste every other day. Once a week, I deep clean 1/3 of the sand. It's important not to deep clean more than 1/3 a week, because you'll destroy your beneficial bacteria and disrupt your nitrogen cycle.

The other thing to remember about sand is that it can grow pockets of toxic gases, so at least once a week run a chopstick or clean knife (that has never been touched by soap) all through the sand, back and forth, to get rid of any pockets. Hope that helps. :)

Snails can be very useful in terms of keeping glass clean. I keep mystery snails, Nerites, there are some of the small bladder and ramshorns as well, and some Orange Rabbit Poso and Chocolate Posos, along with heaven only knows how many MTS.

I find Mystery and Nerite snails are by far the best at keeping glass quite clean. They eat algae and biofilm and between the two, I almost never have to clean the glass inside the tanks. MTS snails are also surprisingly good algae eaters, but they would be more visible in sand than they are in gravel. But they do burrow into substrate, which helps prevent those gas pockets that were mentioned. They're quite good at cleaning off leaves.

Nerite snails LOVE diatoms.. brown algae. I drop the uplift tubes from my filters into the tank now and then, and allow the snails to do the cleaning. They do it far better than I can with brushes and such, though it does take a day or three, depending how much junk is in the tubes. I keep a spare for the HOB, so it can keep running when one tube is being snail cleaned.

Its more the substrate thats getting dirty. Glass seems fine. Just alot of poo on sand so wasnt sure the best ways to clean that up or if vaccuming it up was only way. This would mean doing this every 2-3 days plus by doing this also doing a water change each time.. its this which i wasnt sure about if that many water changes is bad.. the battery vac that Greta1981 says about sounds intersting. Will keep the snails in mind though for future.

I love my Eheim gravel vac. It costs a small fortune, $60, but I think it was worth it in terms of the effort it saves me. It may just be me personally, but I despise conventional gravel siphons. Water everywhere, constantly, though I'm not new to fishkeeping. I've just never perfected the technique, I guess. With the Eheim, I can vacuum daily without any kind of mess, and change 30% of my tank's water with my Python No Spill and Fill twice a week. Tada. Clean tank. Happy fish. Happy fish owner. :)

Thats the biggest downfall of sand. It holds all the crap on top of it. Gravel lets it fall through and hides it much better. Vacuuming is the only way to cure the problem. No fish or snail will help this problem. You could vacuum the sand eveyday if you want, and replace the water that was removed. Or you could just do it when you do your water changes. If this is anything smaller then a 30g then the problem is overstocking, and it will be toguh to keep up on all the poop.

Plecos are big eaters and big poopers, especially if you have lots of driftwood, they love drifwood. I had a tank with angels and a pleco that used to make a mess out of my tank, I love plecos but I had to sell mine eventually.
Don't change the sand, you will have to clean regardless what sand or gravel you use, just vacuum it.

Its a 55g tank. I may invest in a battery powered vac just to keep things a little more under control.. its not too bad
.. maybe i just have ocd. I just have one piece of wood in tank atm. Did have 2 but the other one started to rot so got rid of that. I love the pleco too but hes realy hard to find atm as hes so small!

Not to worry about frequent water changes, that would go with vacuuming more often. You really can't do too many water changes, so long as the new water you add is close to the same as the old water, in terms of pH, temp and other parameters. Fish like clean water, plants love it, so it's no problem to do more water changes than might be considered typical.

How big is your tank, out of curiosity? If you're overstocked, it will get dirty faster. With my sand substrate, I use an Eheim battery powered vac (doesn't do water changes, just sucks up dirt) to vacuum up loose waste every other day. Once a week, I deep clean 1/3 of the sand. It's important not to deep clean more than 1/3 a week, because you'll destroy your beneficial bacteria and disrupt your nitrogen cycle.

This is actually incorrect. You can deep clean the entire sand bed in a freshwater tank weekly an it will not destroy your BB at all. Your filter and decor also has BB. Look at gravel bottomed tanks. You can clean them once a week as well and not destroy your BB. I have both sand bottomed and gravel bottomed.

The other thing to remember about sand is that it can grow pockets of toxic gases, so at least once a week run a chopstick or clean knife (that has never been touched by soap) all through the sand, back and forth, to get rid of any pockets. Hope that helps. :)

This is also somewhat false. This would actually depend on the grain size and type of sand being used. Like play sand vs pool filter sand. A very fine powdery sand like play sand will have a higher risk of pockets than a courser sand like pool filter sand. A larger grain size, like pool filter sand, doesn't compact like a smaller grain sized sand like play sand or most of the pet store sands.

If a larger grain size is less likely to get gas pockets, I'd love to know why my rather coarse Eco complete had loads of them for awhile. Early on, when I'd first got back into fish keeping, I had problems with this. For a short time the tank smelled like a swamp and huge bubbles came up any time the substrate was disturbed.

This turned out to mainly be due to me overfeeding, and once I cleaned it all thoroughly, the problem did not recur. But you can get gas pockets in any substrate if the conditions favour anaerobic decomp, which is what causes the gas to form.

Edit: I'm about to run a test to determine, to my satisfaction at least, just how much BB there may be in substrate, etc.

At this time, I do believe the vast majority of BB live in the filter, which is where the conditions that favour these bacteria exists, which is to say, plenty of O2 and constant running water. These conditions are not available to the same extent elsewhere in a tank, which is why I think the BB live in filters primarily.

But if I am wrong I'd like to know, one way or another. When the test is over I'll post my results, whichever way it turns out.

If a larger grain size is less likely to get gas pockets, I'd love to know why my rather coarse Eco complete had loads of them for awhile. Early on, when I'd first got back into fish keeping, I had problems with this. For a short time the tank smelled like a swamp and huge bubbles came up any time the substrate was disturbed.

This turned out to mainly be due to me overfeeding, and once I cleaned it all thoroughly, the problem did not recur. But you can get gas pockets in any substrate if the conditions favour anaerobic decomp, which is what causes the gas to form.

Over feeding and improper cleaning habits will cause it. If you do a full, deep clean, you shouldn't have had any build up. I never had that problem in any of my tanks; sand, gravel, Eco complete or 3M color quartz.

Back
Top Bottom