cleanup.g cannister filter correctly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brad15

Aquarium Advice Activist
When its time to clean the tank, what is the proper way to clean and replace media for a cannister filter and NOT ruin the cycle? Also a seperate question but my tap water has enough nitrates to confuse the heck out of me as I try to cycle my new tank. Any proven nitrate reducers on market? Thanks.

brad15 said:
When its time to clean the tank, what is the proper way to clean and replace media for a cannister filter and NOT ruin the cycle? Also a seperate question but my tap water has enough nitrates to confuse the heck out of me as I try to cycle my new tank. Any proven nitrate reducers on market? Thanks.

Live plants "eat" nitrates.

Maybe heavily planting the tank will reduce the trAtes to a safer level?

Anyone? I've got low ammonia readings as I assume it has begun. But also have high nitrate readings. Wtf? Any nitrate removers or reducers that work besides real plants?

brad15 said:
Anyone? I've got low ammonia readings as I assume it has begun. But also have high nitrate readings. Wtf? Any nitrate removers or reducers that work besides real plants?

Not safely. Chemicals are the last thing you want to add to a tank. If you have nitrates in your tap water all you can do is do lots of smaller PWC (instead of one large one a week) to keep it at an appropriate level.
Plants consume nitrate so adding plants will help.

Plants are the best way and there are a lot of low light low maintenance plants to help you with things.

I always wonder about this, I have city water and I found that legally the acceptable level of Nitrate is 1ppm.

I feel that if I was drinking 20ppm nitrate tap water I would complain to the city?

I have found out that city water fluctuates on a daily basis.

Back
Top Bottom