Clear Water?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brunettebaby4571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so my 40 gallon tank always has this "dingy" look to it I guess you could say? No matter how much or how often I change the water it just never has that crystal clear look to it? All of my other tanks always look nice and clean after water changes but this one never seems to. I run an aquaclear 50 and another HOB filter (forgot the name of it) rated for 30 gallons. I periodically clean out the filter media in old tank water. I just don't understand why it never looks super clean or clear? Also the same goes for my black sand. No matter how much I vacuum it it never looks very clean? Would a powerhead help with this? Is there anything else I can do/try to make my tank and sand look better? Thank you!

How is your ammonia level? High ammonia can cloud water. It could also be a bacterial bloom.

Ammonia is zero. And its not "cloudy" per say its just not clear haha if that makes any sense?

It could be a few issues. Try putting some filter floss in the filter. If it doesn't clear up in a few hours then it needs further investigation. As the other poster mentioned, are your water parameters good??

Although I agree fixing the source of the problem would be the best thing to do, purigen is always an option as well :)

It could be a few issues. Try putting some filter floss in the filter. If it doesn't clear up in a few hours then it needs further investigation. As the other poster mentioned, are your water parameters good??

I don't agree that filter floss works that fast. When I had some clear water issues and detritus that took almost two days to clear up

No driftwood at the moment. Just plants. I have been thinking about getting purigen as well. All parameters are good. The tank has been running for over a year. At first it was really clean looking and clear but over time it just looks dirty anymore.

I don't agree that filter floss works that fast. When I had some clear water issues and detritus that took almost two days to clear up
How quickly it works depends on a few factors.
How much floss you use, how much flow your filter has and of course how cloudy the water is. The OP mentioned the water NOT being cloudy, merely not crystal clear. Floss positioned correctly, in a decent filter WILL polish this water in that time frame, if that is the issue of course.
These pictures were taken over a 3hr period, using a cheap Chinese HOB.....

Attachments

• DSCF8329.jpg
    DSCF8329.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF8326.jpg
    DSCF8326.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF8328.jpg
    DSCF8328.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF8336.jpg
    DSCF8336.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 69
What a difference Ian!

What type of substrate do you have? Any changes to the tank at the time you noticed the dinginess? What is the tank stocked with?

Ian086 ah I want my tank to be clear like the last picture!! lol and rmiller I have black sand (which also looks like garbage right now) And I didn't really notice it happening it just kind of happened like I didn't do anything then notice it it has just happened over a period of time I reckon. Also the tank is stocked with a mollie, 7 harlequin rasboras, 2 yoyo loaches, 3 otos, and 4 tetras.

I have heard of some black gravel that's been painted having the paint chip off. I've not heard of it in sand, but I guess it could be possible.

The only other thought I have is how thoroughly are you vacuuming?

What a difference Ian!

What type of substrate do you have? Any changes to the tank at the time you noticed the dinginess? What is the tank stocked with?
Yeah, I didn't expect it to clear that quickly to be honest!!. The substrate is Fluval Stratum. I like the look of it but it can be quite messy if disturbed

Ian086 ah I want my tank to be clear like the last picture!! lol and rmiller I have black sand (which also looks like garbage right now) And I didn't really notice it happening it just kind of happened like I didn't do anything then notice it it has just happened over a period of time I reckon. Also the tank is stocked with a mollie, 7 harlequin rasboras, 2 yoyo loaches, 3 otos, and 4 tetras.
Try the floss. It won't do any harm. Did you give the sand a really good wash before putting in the tank??

What a difference Ian!

It's actually an intended planted tank that has stalled due to illness, not to the tank, but to me!!
I'm gonna get my finger out and sort it out in the next 2wks....

What exactly are dead rocks? I rinsed the sand VERY well. I did have play sand (nightmare to clean lol) and I vacuum it very well as well. I am just stumped :/ Could it be my lights making it so it doesnt look as clear? Lol I am just throwing ideas out there

What exactly are dead rocks? I rinsed the sand VERY well. I did have play sand (nightmare to clean lol) and I vacuum it very well as well. I am just stumped :/ Could it be my lights making it so it doesnt look as clear? Lol I am just throwing ideas out there
Over cleaning can be an issue too. Try vacuuming one side one week and the other the next. I use Cory's in my 55g and the playsand has never looked so clean. The bonus with these guys are they are cool fish to watch digging away at the bottom. They will also clear up any left over food, which also might be the cause of 'not so clear' water??.
I think giving the floss a go could rule out a lot of other causes. If it works, you know what the issue was. Do you know what floss looks like and where to get it??

I have been wanting cories for awhile but with my loaches who are the biggest pigs I would worry that they wouldn't get enough food. I do sort of know what filter floss is/looks like haha but where would the best place to get it? Is that the stuff you can get in a large quantity/roll? Or am I thinking about something else?

How quickly it works depends on a few factors.
How much floss you use, how much flow your filter has and of course how cloudy the water is. The OP mentioned the water NOT being cloudy, merely not crystal clear. Floss positioned correctly, in a decent filter WILL polish this water in that time frame, if that is the issue of course.
These pictures were taken over a 3hr period, using a cheap Chinese HOB.....

Nice pics, that a female cobratail?

I have been wanting cories for awhile but with my loaches who are the biggest pigs I would worry that they wouldn't get enough food. I do sort of know what filter floss is/looks like haha but where would the best place to get it? Is that the stuff you can get in a large quantity/roll? Or am I thinking about something else?
Sorry I didn't see you have loaches..lol. Filter Floss looks like Candy Floss and it can come as a roll, called quilted batting(?). I use the 'loose' floss. It can be purchased in Craft/Hobby stores, in LFS(usually expensive) and online. It comes in big bags for about $3-$5. A bag this size will last years. It is super cheap, so when mine is dirty I just swapped it out. Some people rinse(tank water) and reuse it. I just bin mine.
You can also use cheap bed pillows. Whatever floss you use, you HAVE to make sure it is 100% polyfil. NO ADDITIVES... eg, Fire Retardents or Anti-Bacterial agents.
I use it in ALL my filters.

Back
Top Bottom