Cloudy glass that grows!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Faroohi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
* I cannot figure out what is on my aquarium glass....it looks like white dirt or something....when I clean the glass it comes off fairly easy into what looks like a cloud of dust...I clean it off and within an hour it starts to accumulate again.. I have an axolotl I change 20 percent of water every week or twice a week. I pick up his poop eveytime I see it. There are some stones in ky tank and spong filter.
The white dirt stick on glass and moves like hair in the water....I cannot find anything that resembles it anywhere on the internet...and the glass begins to become cloudy I wash them off they get into the water. On my second uploaded photo I have cleaned the glass from these white things and they went flowing into the water.

Attachments

• 20220128_185640.jpg
    20220128_185640.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20220128-213317_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220128-213317_Gallery.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 21
Is your substrate sand? Looks like it from the pictures. If so, I'm guessing it's sand--sand dust. Is there a fine layer of white on other things, like the decor? This sand dust would settle on things and float around if the sand was not washed before adding it to the tank.

A newbie friend had this sand problem when starting a small tank. In five weeks, with two filters, this sandy dust would come and go, sometimes clouding the tank so much she feared for the inhabitant's life. It just would not settle permanently. She didn't know the sand should've been washed first. Ultimately she dissembled everything, washed the sand, and put it all back together again. Problem was solved.

* I cannot figure out what is on my aquarium glass....it looks like white dirt or something....when I clean the glass it comes off fairly easy into what looks like a cloud of dust...I clean it off and within an hour it starts to accumulate again.. I have an axolotl I change 20 percent of water every week or twice a week. I pick up his poop eveytime I see it. There are some stones in ky tank and spong filter.
The white dirt stick on glass and moves like hair in the water....I cannot find anything that resembles it anywhere on the internet...and the glass begins to become cloudy I wash them off they get into the water. On my second uploaded photo I have cleaned the glass from these white things and they went flowing into the water.
That is some algae, or sand. i have similar stuff. It shouldnt be harmful, but if your worried, use a toothbrush to scrub it off.

Back
Top Bottom