Cloudy milky tank. ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasonb1992

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I jus cleaned my filtration system yesterday andmy tank went a bit cloudy misty I thought it would clear in 24 h but hasn't adduced water purifier. Nothing any suggestions ?

Attachments

• image-976597815.jpg
    image-976597815.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 64
Hi I jus cleaned my filtration system yesterday andmy tank went a bit cloudy misty I thought it would clear in 24 h but hasn't adduced water purifier. Nothing any suggestions ?

did you put new filter media in? that is what normally causes this, you only need to change the filter media when its falling apart.(6+ months) you can rinse it once a month in tank water to keep it clean

How did you clean it? What type of filter do you have? If you cleaned it out with tap water and cleaned all your media, you have killed off beneficial bacteria. The bacteria converts ammonia and nitrites into nitrate. While this bacteria builds up, it initiates what is called te nitrogen cycle. If you are unfamiliar with this, type in nitrogen cycle on google for a more detailed explanation. But it seems you have initiated a cycle.

Yea I uses tap water as I have done this with previous tanks and been fine so what should I have done and what can I do to fix this just let it run for a few days or add something please advise I did not add any new media just cleaned in tap water

I'm not familiar with that filter, is it a hang on the back or a canister? What kind of media do you have? And yes by cleaning your filter with tap water your killing bacteria. The chlorine and other harsh metals are not good for an established tank. Your basically starting all over. When you clean the filter, it's best to clean the media with tank water. Remove any of the crud you find in your filter and swish some tank water around to jar things loose. That's about as much cleaning as you need to do.

It is built in in the back in its own are which the man tank water flows Into. I have a black sponge 2 different bead glass ball bags and a micro thin white layer sponge it was fine I made the mistake thanks for the advise what can u do or will it just take time to sort itself out or what is the best course of action ? I will rinse in tank water next time

It is built in in the back in its own are which the man tank water flows Into. I have a black sponge 2 different bead glass ball bags and a micro thin white layer sponge it was fine I made the mistake thanks for the advise what can u do or will it just take time to sort itself out or what is the best course of action ? I will rinse in tank water next time

Could you post some pics of the filter inside/out? Btw I'd change the beads out and put in some ceramic rings, bio stars, or bio balls. It should be fine, just let it run it's course. For the next couple days I would do a 25% water change. It will speed up the process but don't do more than 25%.

Here are my filter media I did a 25% water change and water conditioner will leave it and see how it goes think I need a stronger water pump though mine is in ma and still not very strong. Any clues or ideas if I should change filter media and I seem to be building a layer of algae on inside Walls on my tank and features what could is be from due to the cloudy water ?

Attachments

• image-3003346133.jpg
    image-3003346133.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 60
  • image-3839918263.jpg
    image-3839918263.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 49
Here are my filter media I did a 25% water change and water conditioner will leave it and see how it goes think I need a stronger water pump though mine is in ma and still not very strong. Any clues or ideas if I should change filter media and I seem to be building a layer of algae on inside Walls on my tank and features what could is be from due to the cloudy water ?

Is that carbon your using? If so I'd def change that, but that's it. Never change out all the media at once, it's the same as running it through tap water.(

Te air is carbon or is what can with the tank so why do you suggest ? Thank you for all your help really been beneficial thanks

You've caused a mini cycle which is why your tank is cloudy. Usually it clears within a day or two but sometimes it can take longer.

Back
Top Bottom