Cloudy substance in tank bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericmatz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I noticed a cloudy white substance accumulating at the bottom of my planted tank this week. I went away for a night so my lighting was off (picked up a timer, so no more of that) for 36 hours or so, and came home to find the water in the tank very cloudy.

The substance accumulated right under my CO2 diffuser (I have the little Hagen system), so I wonder if some of the mixture was getting into the tank. It was also near a large amount of plant decay. I did a water change and siphoned out all the cloudy stuff (the plant decay too). Water is still cloudy, but the gunk is gone. At least my tank doesn't look like Dagobah anymore :D

PH is kinda high 7.8 or so, Ammonia/Nitrites are 0, Nitrates are about 5 mg/l.

Any ideas what it was?

What IS a gas seperator btw?
Sorry to post a link but I don't know how to cut and paste the schematic into the topic....scroll down a bit for the drawing. I do not have one on my setup, either, honestly, but am going to go to pressurized anyway. I get the wad of fluffy whiteness at the end of my airline hose from time to time, but I just grab it out and go on 'bout my bidness.

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

Ahh ok. Now I get it. Hrmm. I haven't had a prob (yet LOL) but maybe during vacation I'll put one together; sounds like a good idea!

Heh, and Dagobah; you're too funny eric!

Hey thanks all! I wish I'd read about the DIY setup before buying the Hagen thing. I may consider redoing or modifying my setup. Not real crazy about buying those Hagen packets anyway...would rather mix my own stuff up.

My tank is back to being super cloudy again :| Definitely need to work in a separator before Yoda decides to move in...

Back
Top Bottom