Cloudy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gsxrownr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm hoping someone could help me figure out why my tank randomly got so cloudy, I haven't disturbed the gravel at all and have done water changes as needed. It was cloudy for the first couple of weeks cuz it was brand new and the. It cleared up and my cycle got on track where I didn't have to change the water every day, I changed out the filter, haven't added anything new, and it's cloudier then when I first started. So if anyone has ideas as to why this might be happening It would be much appreciated.

Gsxrownr said:
I'm hoping someone could help me figure out why my tank randomly got so cloudy, I haven't disturbed the gravel at all and have done water changes as needed. It was cloudy for the first couple of weeks cuz it was brand new and the. It cleared up and my cycle got on track where I didn't have to change the water every day, I changed out the filter, haven't added anything new, and it's cloudier then when I first started. So if anyone has ideas as to why this might be happening It would be much appreciated.

You're having what's called a bacteria bloom. Changing out filter media removes the bacteria living in it. Do PWC each day for he next few days is my recommendation.

IMO isn't necessary to replace filter media unless it's falling apart, the best thing to do is clean the filter media in tank water from a PWC. If you have a filter with more than one media, only clean one at a time. If it's a cartridge style filter, simply rinse it off in the back in. Never rinse filter media in tap water, it kills the bacteria.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

That makes since, I have only had this tank for a month so I am fairly new to all this and It started getting cloudy before I changed out my filter, and I changed out my filter cuz I heard it's good to change it out at least once every month so I'm guessing this isn't necessarily true?

Gsxrownr said:
That makes since, I have only had this tank for a month so I am fairly new to all this and It started getting cloudy before I changed out my filter, and I changed out my filter cuz I heard it's good to change it out at least once every month so I'm guessing this isn't necessarily true?

It depends on what kind of filter you have. Can you post the mfg and model? That would help to know. IMO the media in your filter is one of the most important elements in your system. The reality is, if the store told you that it's because they want to sell you more stuff ;).

How are you testing your water (ammonium, nitrites (02/03), pH) and if you have those, that info is helpful too.

Is it clearing up any?

My filter came with the set for a 20 gallon and I take it to LFS to get the water tested, and no it hasn't improved at all. I hope this info helps a little.

I also believe it is a bacterial bloom. Like said, its best to do a Partial water change once a day until it is cleared. Do you happen to know your parameters? If so, tell us and we will go on from there.

Only certain filter cartridges can be replaced in a filter without it disturbing the cycle, such as filters with Bio-wheels (The Bio-wheel itself has enough beneficial bacteria to keep the tank on track if the cartridge is replaced).

Gsxrownr said:
My filter came with the set for a 20 gallon and I take it to LFS to get the water tested, and no it hasn't improved at all. I hope this info helps a little.

If the filter cartridge you replaced is the only element in your filter, it may cause a set back in cycling your tank. What I like to do during a bloom (3 weeks ago:( ) is do a 25% PWC once in the morning and again in the evening. I got thru my bloom in 3 days doing it that way.

Does your LFS use strips or a liquid/test tube test? If it's strips, they are known to be inacurate. IMHO you'd be better off getting a liquid test kit (I like API FW Master test kit). Then you can do your own testing and know what your water parameters are.

Yes they use the strips, and thanks for that I'm gonna have to go out and get one of those liquid test kits

Gsxrownr said:
Yes they use the strips, and thanks for that I'm gonna have to go out and get one of those liquid test kits

Yep, the one I have was $30, but with 800 tests vs. 12 or 15 of the tests strips for $13 it's a bargin. Plus the test strips don't test ammo, it's a seperate test strip. I figured it out at my petco and the kit was the same price as both of those, with 700 more tests lol.

Back
Top Bottom