Cloudy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etunes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so i have been taking care of tanks for many years, but since i know how to start my tanks right and dont have to deal with this much i dont remember what to do to fix this problem. I had a friend that started a tank a while ago with three goldfish in a 20g long (bad idea as goldfish get big and are VERY dirty). Also he didnt cycle the tank. So it started getting very very cloudy, i told him we needed to get it straightened out before we add any fish. Well, he then proceeded tto go out the next day to get 4 more fish. Well i pushed and got the goldfish a new home to make up for it. So now i am slowly straighining things out. And the current problem is very very cloudy water. I am suspecting a baceria bloom but what do i do about it?

Parameters:
20 Gallon long aquarium
2 filters
Home made light

P.h.-7.3
Ammonia-0.25
nitrate-30
nitrite-idk(lost card to read what the color means)

Also forgot to mention he had rainbow gravel, then he put in these giant stones from walmart, and it is only like 1/8 inch deep, i am gonna be changing the substrate tomorrow straight to sand about 1/2" to a 1" deep.

Please and thank you for your replies ahead of time. :thanks:

Ian :cool:

There is ammonia so the tank seems to not be "cycled". If the nitrite test is anything but pure light blue you also have nitrite.
Do daily PWCs until ammonia and nitrite stay at zero.
The bacterial bloom (cloudiness) you will have to wait out. Keep the tank clean and don't over feed.

Back
Top Bottom