Cloudy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaquero

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am having a problem in my fry tank which has been running for 6 weeks now. Although all of my nitrites and nitrates are at zero, my ammonia is at .25, but that is from my tap water i found out. I have done three water changes in a weeks time, and I am also running a whisper 20 and a whisper 10 on it, and still no change in the cloudy water. Water temp is at a constant 78 degrees(i am running two heaters also, one in each end of the tank) (25 gallon) I have ample filtration so I am hoping it will clear up soon. Tank is on an outside wall in front of my window (hence the two hearers to keep it at a constant temp). I have about 30 fry (3/4 -1" in size) in it and two smaller coreys. I really didn't have this problem until i introduced the coreys into it. I feed them 2 wafers every three to four days making sure the last ones are gone. Feeding the fry crushed flakes and only twice a day for them. I make sure they are eating what I give them so there is little food going to the bottom. I have java moss and one other live plant in it with a moss ball as well. What is my problem with the tank??? Is there anything I can do at this point or just let it run it's course?

It's probably bc u have it near the window. That give sunlight to the bacteria and algae, which makes the water foggy

It's probably bc u have it near the window. That give sunlight to the bacteria and algae, which makes the water foggy
but it has no direct sunlight because the shades are pulled 99% of the time so if anything it would be filtered light coming in. My 55 is right next to these and it's fine, nice and crystal clear.

If it's been cloudy the entire time you could be having an extended bacterial bloom. Expecially if you do a WC and the cloudiness comes right back.

can i try a water clarifier? I do have some that I bought awhile ago when the other 25 was cloudy and it helped it a lot. If it's a BB would it help at all??? I am about ready to do a 75% WC to see if that helps. I have all of the good bacteria in the gravel and filters, so I not worried about having to re cycle the tank. What do you all think I should do. It's driving me crazy having cloudy tanks.

Using chemicals is not a good idea. You can do the WC but if its a B Bloom it will come back. One of the ways to rid a tank of a bacterial bloom is using a UV sterilizer to clear it up. I've heard people on this site talk about having alot of luck with this one... Green Killing Machine Internal UV Sterilizer with Power Head at PETCO. But before I went the UV route I'd try adding some very fine floss into your filter to see if it's actually alot of very tiny floating particles making the tank look cloudy. If that didn't work, then I'd go to the UV if you can't stand waiting it to clear on it's own. And a UV will not kill your good BB.

I did use a clarifier twice a day for two days, finally showing greatly improved clarity in both tanks. The brand I used said it would work for all types of cloudiness including a Bacterial Bloom. It worked just great, although I really didn't want to use chemicals, but I am a freak when it comes to crystal clear tank water. It's my bane (cloudy water) when it comes to the hobby.

Back
Top Bottom