Cloudy Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinB

Aquarium Advice Activist
Was looking for a bit of advise. I Have a 37 gallon aquarium up for 10-11 weeks now and it's still cloudy. It is unheated, and has one 6" standard goldfish. We feed him once per day just a pinch of flakes flakes, or a shrimp. We upgraded his house from a 10 gallon which was always crystal clear. Just small.

I have read up on cycling ect, which was done on fly. I have to admit, I wasn't familiar with it until after we just started the larger tank. We just started the 10 gallon, with the one goldfish when he was 1" at most, and never noticed any issues.

For last 4 weeks, the nitrate leveled off at .25 ppm, and no ammonia. pH normal. Filter is an Aquaclear 70. I have been following the directions on box and what was read in hear in changing water, 1 element at a time etc. First week or so, had no nitrate, and <1 ppm of ammonia. Then ammonia went to zero, and nitrate climed to .5 at most, then tailed off to 0-.25. The pattern looked like graphs I have seen. But cloudiness seems to persist all though not as bad as when ammonia was higher.

The only time water has cleared is when I put in some of the clarifier. Then after few days, it gets a bit cloudy again. The old 10 gallon tank used a biowheel filter and was always like drinking water. Is this a filtering issue or just more time needed? I doubt biowheel is better by what I've read in here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year,
Kevin

Back
Top Bottom