cloudy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrous

Aquarium Advice FINatic
well my tank has been cloudy alot now and i do a water change, it gets clearer for a day or two and then clouds up again and its never actually goes away the tank has 1 plant and 7 fish and is a 15 gal tank with 18 watts of light

How long has the tank been set up?
Color of cloudiness?
Type and size of fish?
Substrate type?
How long do you keep the lights on?
How often/how much do you feed?
What type of food?
Water parameters?

1 bala 1 cae 1 tetra 1 shark catfish 1 cory 2 red tail sharks
color is a slight ting of green
rock substrate
tetra flakes 2ce a day
lights on 12 hrs a day
been running a while fully cycled i did a test a week ago and it said .1 ammonina 0 nitrites 13 nitrates

Sounds like green water. It's algae in the water column. Try cutting down on the light to about 10 hours. Might have to do an initial black-out to get rid of it. You can do this by turning the tank lights off and covering the tank with a dark blanket. I think this is done for 3 days? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. During this time, no need to feed the fish either. Just leave it blacked out and covered. Might do a quick PWC before you do it as well, to keep the parameters lower. Then do a major PWC when complete to get rid of as much of the dead algae as possible.

Cut back on feeding afterwards as well. You have a lot of fish in that shark tank. You are showing traces of ammoina, those excess nutrients could easily cause an algae bloom. You could blackout for as long as 5 days if needed.

yep algea can't live without light, black out the tank, defintly cut back on feeding and it wouldn't hurt to another water change to help lower the ammonia and remove any waste thats there

i'm like u i got a cloudy tank myself. if you feed them alittle too much, it will cloud the water. my friend she has one and her little boy dumped alittle too much food in the tank and yeah it was really really cloudy..lol i'm sure your's isn't even close to it but to much food will do it. i don't feed mine as much like i did when i first got them and it help the water out. its always good to have the fish a little hungry that way they'll clean up the food. i hope this little info helps u out.

fishylittlenemo

My water only appears cloudy towards the top of the tank....ummm is this the flourescent lighting messing with my head or what?? It looks fine from there down. The cloudy is a really light milky white, kind of like the color of the light bulbs light. I do water changes and it is still there.

Back
Top Bottom