Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott1980

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok,

I moved everything from my 10 gallon to a 20 gallon tank a friend gave me. I planned on making this a planted tank, so I went out and purchased the Eco Complete. Well when I put in the Eco I let it sit and filter for 48 hours, after that I transferred my fish over. The water was fine for 3 days. Then I came home and it was cloudy as everything. I'd say more of a milky cloudy. You can barely see inside the tank now. My roomate was like "oh yeah, that's normal it'll settle down". Well 2 days later it's just the same. The filter that's on is a Penquin mini filter. I know that's not quite big enough for a 20, I'm planning on adding a lot of plants. So what should I do? Would a water change help? What causes this?

:morning:

Technically a Penguin Mini is rated to 20 gallons. "Go for tanks 20 gallons and smaller"

Just my two cents. The only thing I could say is 'bacterial bloom' but I know nothing about Eco complete or if it could be cause.

Water changes, water changes, water changes. Cut back on feeding for a few days. It shouldn't hurt your fish too badly.

This is probably a bacterial bloom. As above, partial frequent water changes (small amounts) will take care of it. Test for ammonia and nitrite to make sure those levels are down.

I do think that filter is too small for a 20. I use a Penguin 125 on my 10gal. As you mentioned, since it will be a planted tank you don't want water blasting through there, and depending upon your fish load it might be okay. Wait and see how you do over time, and chronic problems with cloudy water might be the indication to increase filtration.

Yes, lots of plants and a light fish load will probably make it an okay tank. But be aware of fish that are high waste producers, like plecos and many cichlids.

I try to aim for 1.5 times what the box says it is rated for. So I get a filter that is atleast rated for a 30 gallon for a 20 gallon tank. That is a simplified version of the whole gph turn over rate.

Try 20% a day water changes.

Back
Top Bottom