Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluebead442

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi im have a slight problem with my tank...it's a lil cloudy, i do frequent water changes,, al the pH, Amonia, high range pH, and nitrates are all in perfect levels...i have 2 moss balls,, was maybe wondering if that could be the prob???

What color is the cloudiness, white, green, or brown? Easy way to tell is find a white cup and put the tank water inside to check color. How are you checking your water parameters? And exactly what are they?

the color is a very low soft white,, its not as bad as iv seen it in some tanks,, the pH level is 7.2,,,, amonia is 0.25,, high range pH 7.4,, and nitrates .0,, im using a fresh, and salt water pro test kit,, iv had fish in the past with a large amount of guppies and never had this prob,,,iv had these 3 chiclids for bout a month now and just recently its started to do this..

Cloudy Tank

Hello blue....

A cloudy tank is usually tiny plant material stirred up after a water change or planting plants. It usually doesn't last more than a few days. If you haven't replaced the filter media in your tank lately, it would help to clear the tank if you did.

B

bluebead442 said:
about 2 months ago

Have you made any changes recently? Replaced filters, added fish or removed decoration? Are you sure the tank is cycled? A milky white cloudiness is a sign of a bacterial bloom, and the fact there is an ammonia level seems to support the idea. A cycled tank should always have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrItes and some level of no3. If the tank was cycled, it's most likely a mini-cycle and the bacteria is adjusting. Make sure you monitor the parameters and always keep the ammo under .25.

i cleaned the decorations today,, last time was bout 4 or 5 days ago along with the filter the tank has been cycled for about a month b4 the fish were introduced..is it safe to use ammo lock?? if so just little by little??

BBradbury said:
Hello blue....

A cloudy tank is usually tiny plant material stirred up after a water change or planting plants. It usually doesn't last more than a few days. If you haven't replaced the filter media in your tank lately, it would help to clear the tank if you did.

B

Welcome to the site. I have to really disagree with you however about switching filter media. The vast majority of your beneficial bacteria lives in the media, and by replacing it you throw your tank into a cycle and is very dangerous. Make sure to always seed a new filter and only replace media when it is literally falling apart.

Back
Top Bottom