Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaftanjan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can anyone please advise me how to clean up the cloudy water that has developed in my freshwater fish tank over the last three weeks?

I have changed the food, checked the filter is clear, and in desperation I have even bought a new pump to no avail. Someone suggested removing the ornaments as they may be the cause.

I live in a hard water area but the tank gets a 20-25% water change every week and I use Easy Adjust ph powder and Tetra Aqua Safe every time. I have been following the same routine for the past three years without any problem and I am at a loss at what to do next.

The fish seem to be ok but it can't be very pleasant for them. Any ideas?
Thanks

I live in a hard water area but the tank gets a 20-25% water change every week and I use Easy Adjust ph powder and Tetra Aqua Safe every time. I have been following the same routine for the past three years without any problem and I am at a loss at what to do next.

As you live in the U.K., I don't know those products, but I'll assume the Aquasafe is a dechlorinator?

In general, I don't like to use ph-adjusting chemicals, for me, they cause more problems in the long run than they solve over the short-term. I don't really know if that could have caused your present problem.

Couple questions:
Is it whitish-cloudy, or greenish cloudy?
When you do water changes, do you vacuum the gravel?
What are your water parameters? ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?
any medications used prior to this cloudy water?
Bioload? (how many/what type/size fishies)

If it's whitish cloudy, it's most likely a bacterial bloom, these are usually associated with new tanks, and clear up on their own in a few days to a few weeks.
Greenish cloudy, green water, an algae bloom of single celled algae, usually associated with high nitrates, and lighting problems (left on too long, wron spectrum lights, or too much sunlight hitting the tank).

If you answer the above questions, or at least what you can of them, we can most likely help more than this.

Thankyou for responding to my query.

The water is whitish cloudy and the tank is three years old so I don't think it's associated with the bacterial bloom seen in new tanks.

I have 4 mollies, 5 platties, 2 angel fish, 5 neon tetras, 5 catfish, an algae eater and 2 sucking loaches, plus 10 other mixed tetras. They are all relatively small, except for the angels who are about 5cm/3" body length.

You are right in guessing the Aquasafe is a declorinator, and the ph adjuster is to bring it down to 6.5 to 7. Unfortunately I have to use a ph adjuster because the water in London is quite acidic. I've checked the amonia and nitrate levels and they are both ok and I don't use any other chemicals in the water.

During the water changes I clean the gravel every week.

The filter is one of those that sit on the side of the tank and has the sponges inside.

Please let me know if you need any other information. Many thanks for your help

First off, how big is your tank? What kind of filtration are you using?

20-25% water changes aren't enough as far as I can see by what kind of fish you have in there. I would recommend 50% water changes weekly.

It sounds like you have too much of a bio load. In that case, you need more filtration and change more water at water changes.

The mollies, platies, and whatever type algae eater will add quite significantly to your bio load. :)

The tank holds approximately 23 gallons of water.

The filtration system consists of a JUWEL Aquarium pump which works with a filter placed on the inside of the tank. This has a layer of 2 fine sponges, then 2 coarse sponges, a black carbon sponge and finally a white prefilter pad.

I will definately try the 50% water change you suggest next weekend when I usually deal with the tank.

My fish do like to breed which is why I appear to have so many at the moment! The angel fish were recommended by my local aquarium shop as a means of eating the babies but they seem to prefer the bloodworm and pellets instead. I don't know any other local aquarium keepers who might like some of my fish so I will have to try and deal with this problem with all the fish in the tank.

Thankyou for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom