cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickyg78

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi so I have a 20 gallon tank that I had trouble with keeping a proper Ph. It was home to three goldfish for my Oscar in a other tank. I was planning to put my fish from my 10 into my 20 and all is good but my water is cloudy. Since I had Ph problem when I fed my Oscar his food I did about 80 percent water change and washed the filter and carbon filter ( with the aquarium water ) now my fish are in there and the water is cloudy. Could be a bacteria bloom? Help

Sounds like a bacteria bloom. Is your tank cycling? How many fish do you have in your tank? Bacteria blooms are normal in new tanks and is a sign that your tank is cycling. Increase the O2 in the tank as aerobic bacteria need a lot of oxygen. Keep up with your water changes. I suggest 10% per day...every day until your levels start to settle out. Do you have a water test kit? API makes a master test kit that measure ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH.

Hi so I have a 20 gallon tank that I had trouble with keeping a proper Ph. It was home to three goldfish for my Oscar in a other tank. I was planning to put my fish from my 10 into my 20 and all is good but my water is cloudy. Since I had Ph problem when I fed my Oscar his food I did about 80 percent water change and washed the filter and carbon filter ( with the aquarium water ) now my fish are in there and the water is cloudy. Could be a bacteria bloom? Help
Have a look at this tread it might help. I would add some polyfil and Purigen(instead of the carbon). Purigen does a better job at polishing the water. You only really need carbon for med removal... It's quite expensive to run, if it's only being used for keeping the water clear...
PS... if you plan on using the polyfil and/or Purigen, don't dump the other pads you already have in the filter. You'll lose your BB!!!!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/bacterial-bloom-237584.html

I just ran out of test strips. The tank was cycled before I added the fish in. Then again I did a big water change before putting in the fish. I have 4 zebra danios. 4 dwarf rasboras and 2 dwarf gouramis. Should I be worried about the bloom

Not to worry! Just keep up the water changes and you will be fine. Paper test strips are less accurate than the chemical reagents. I suggest the API master test kit as mentioned before. I would NOT add any new fish at this point. Watch your feeding as nitrite and ammonia are a danger if you should overfeed.

Not to worry! Just keep up the water changes and you will be fine. Paper test strips are less accurate than the chemical reagents. I suggest the API master test kit as mentioned before. I would NOT add any new fish at this point. Watch your feeding as nitrite and ammonia are a danger if you should overfeed.
I agree, although extra water changes won't do anything for a bacterial bloom, only if you have Ammonia, Nitrite or Nitrate issues. Get the Api master test kit on Amazon, Ebay-->cheaper. Strips are not very accurate. If you have an airstone, run that 24/7 and keep the lights of as much as possible. Keep the feeding(while you have the bloom) to an absolute minimum. Every third day is fine. Over cleaning is usually the main cause of blooms, especially substrate. Do half the tank one week and the other the next. Doing everything, glass, substrate, filter, decor all together is not a good idea....

Back
Top Bottom