Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhs9831

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 30 Gallon planted with a Gourami, plecotomus, guppy and 2 spiny eels. For some reason since I set up the aquarium, months ago, the water remains slightly cloudy... even after water changes, it gets back to being this way in about 24 hours. I have sand as substrate and some rocks with 2 power filters 1 for use in 20 gal and the other for use in up to 60 gallon and good aeration. All my levels are perfect aside from a KH Value of 0, (working on that) I am also diffusing co2 in the tank. Does anyone know why it remains cloudy and how to fix it. My fish seem happy and very healthy??

I know that you said the water parameters are perfect with the exception of kH but could you post them please?

I don't think that this is a bacteria bloom. You don't rinse the filter media in tap water do you? I'm thinking that what you could be seeing is an algae bloom. Water changes won't fix this. Algae blooms usually have a greenish tint to them, kind of like pea soup if it's really bad, but they can also be whitish in color. These are brought about by an excess of nutrients in the water-phosphates, nitrates or both. Lighting and especially sunlight will make the bloom worse. Blacking out the tank for a few days will fix the problem.

Here's how to do a blackout:

1. Feed the fish.

2. Once the fish are done feeding do a very thorough gravel vac and a large water change. Up to 50% is fine.

3. When the gravel vac and water change is done, turn the tank lights off. Cover the tank with a blanket or trash bags. Make sure that absolutely no light can enter the tank.

4. Leave the tank covered for three days. No peeking!

5. On the fourth day, remove the covering from the tank. If the water is clear, do another large water change and thorough gravel vac and the tank should be good to go. Problem solved.

6. If the tank is still cloudy after the first four days then continue the blackout for another 3-4 days or until the water is clear.

The plants will be fine and fish are able to go a few days without eating. I had to do this last year with a really bad algae bloom and it worked like a charm.

HTH,
Bryan

You clean your gravel when you do water changes correct? Also, when you put your gravel in your tank and your decorations, you washed them off nice and good? How often do you do water changes?

There is alot of things that can be attributed to cloudy water. Please post your water parameters and all that, and I'm sure that will help us help you better :wink:

Its white cloudy... and I actually do rinse the filter media in tap water, but after it has gone through my tap water filtration system which is supposed to get rid of the chlorine and other harmful chemicals and metals....and as far as algae bloom, does this grow on plants? I have little white fuzzy balls growing off of my plants for some reason. Water condition.. GH 11.5 KH 0 PH 6.4 the rest ill get back to you on, i should take new measurements... I just finished these, but ill post the rest shortly.

thanks

I'm betting your KH is probably zero due to your filtration, add some crushed coral to your filters if you can. If not I believe a teaspoon of baking soda will raise you up about 1 KH. If you're injecting CO2, you want a KH of at least 3-4.

dhs9831 said:
Its white cloudy... and I actually do rinse the filter media in tap water, but after it has gone through my tap water filtration system which is supposed to get rid of the chlorine and other harmful chemicals and metals....

Okay. I lightly wring out my filter media (floss and sponges) in a bucket of used tank water so the bacteria colonies aren't killed off.

dhs9831 said:
and as far as algae bloom, does this grow on plants?

Not that I know of. What you see during an algae bloom is suspended algae that is in the water column.

dhs9831 said:
Water condition.. GH 11.5 KH 0 PH 6.4 the rest ill get back to you on, i should take new measurements... I just finished these, but ill post the rest shortly.

I'm not totally convinced yet that this an algae bloom or a bacteria bloom. The kH being 0 could have something to do with the cloudiness and with the "little white fuzzy balls" that are on the plants. Sometimes municipalities will change the makeup of the water or the water composition will change. In some cases this can cause cloudiness. I can't remember at the moment what this precipitation is called. :?

Has the kH always been 0 for the tank? Have you tested the tap water to see what the kH is? test the water right out of the tap for kH and pH then let some tap water sit out for 24 hours and retest for kH and pH and post the results. I'm curious as to what these may be. The answer on how to fix this depends on the test results.

Maillis said:
I'm betting your KH is probably zero due to your filtration, add some crushed coral to your filters if you can. If not I believe a teaspoon of baking soda will raise you up about 1 KH. If you're injecting CO2, you want a KH of at least 3-4.

I think that I would shoot for a kH of no less than 3dkh regardless. Anything less than that can leave the door open for wild swings in pH. 1/3 teaspoon of baking soda to 5 gallons of water will yield around 50ppm- close to 3dkh. This should be added in slowly with the replacement water when doing water changes. Any alterations to kH and pH should be done slowly to avoid swings and stress on the fish.

Bryan

Bryan,

My KH directly from tap is 1.5dkh, when set out for 24 hours is .5 dkh

thanks for all of your help!

Dave :fadein:

Your going to have to add a buffer to raise the kH to keep the pH stable. This may help to clear up the cloudiness as well. What I think you are seeing is "precipitate" from fluctuating water conditions.

You can use the baking soda as stated above or add put a little crushed coral in a media bag and place in the filter.

Bryan

Bryan, the KH advice worked. :mrgreen: Now back to the cloudy water... I covered the tank and did a black out for three days, and the cloudy water is still there....... I ended up doing a tear down and completely changing water.... fish are still in another tank... but the cloudy water is back already! Not even any fish in the tank... Im so confused... Do you think this could be cause by any rocks in my aquarium, or the air diffusers agitating the sand or something? Im lost....

Did you change all of the water?

Bad idea if that was the case. A 100% water change will basically kill the tank. By that I mean that doing so can and usually will kill off the bacteria in the tank responsible for biofiltration.

Have you tested for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? What is your normal maintenance routine? How do you clean your filters? Do you rinse the media out in used tank water ir under the tap?

Sorry for more questions, but I had to ask them.;)

Bryan

Bryan,
Actually... I did save about 25 % of the water to add back to the tank after I cleaned it, and the sand was rinsed in old tank water.. as far as the filters, I rinsed them in old tank water as well..... ammonia is not at all a prob, nor are no2 and no3... never apologize for the questions, Im thankful you are taking your time to help.

Dave

Chasgood,

yes it is very fine sand actually, I will look into the the floss, I had never heard of it prior to your post.

Thanks

Dave

Back
Top Bottom