Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jtez

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys, set up my tank less than a week ago and have had cloudy water since filling it up. I'm assuming it's from the sand - the woman who sold me it told me it had been washed so I neglected to do this myself, but after reading a bit more found I probably should have given it a wash myself.

What I'd like to know is what I should do to reduce this. Everything I've come across says its a waiting game, is that the best way to go?

Over the 5 days it's been running, it has cleared significantly. However there's a fine white powdery substance that appears to be settling over my tank - i've noticed it over my filter and possibly on the walls of my tank. Should i give this a wipe over? And will a large PWC be needed or will the water clear up naturally?

Another semi-related question: i was given filter carbon with the set up (its secondhand). From what I can gather, the filter I have is just a sponge filter. Should I be using this filter carbon?

Thanks in advance :)

It could be from the sand. You could try a large water change to help clear it up.
What filter do you have on the tank now? What size tank? Do you have fish yet?
This guide might help some too: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the reply

That's my guess. Do you think it'll clear up on its own or the water change is necessary?

To be completely honest I'm not sure what filter it is. I got it second hand and have no experience with aquarium equipment whatsoever, but it had 2 sponges pieces inside and it's internal not HOB. The label reads:
IP-X8 Model IF-06
www.aquatopia.com (no longer exists, I've checked)

image-2850829522.jpg

It also lists the specs:
Frequency: 50Hz
Power: 13.5w
Flow rate 600-1000L/H (have it sitting on approx 35% at the moment)

37gal (3ft long). No fish, only been set up a few days and waiting for it to cycle.

I'll give it a read right now, thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom