Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CallMeIshmael95

Aquarium Advice Regular
Y fish tank has become very cloudy lately. I figured it was because a few plants were dying. I removed the dying plants but the water is still hazy. My fish keep bunching up in the corner in a group for some reason too. Any idea what's going on?

Y fish tank has become very cloudy lately. I figured it was because a few plants were dying. I removed the dying plants but the water is still hazy. My fish keep bunching up in the corner in a group for some reason too. Any idea what's going on?
how long has it been running, size, fish, filtration, and is it near a window?

It's been running for six months. I moved all my fish from my old tank in there. It has 10 mollies, 7 serpae tetras, and four cories.

It's in between two windows, but the windows don't ever come into contact with direct sunlight.

Oh my gosh. I did. I rinsed the filter out because with all the gunk in it, it wasn't running properly anymore.

This is what they're doing.

image-2906016067.jpg

You killed most of you BB and your tank is pretty much re cycling. Whats your ammonia levels at now.

Oh my gosh. I did. I rinsed the filter out because with all the gunk in it, it wasn't running properly anymore. This is what they're doing.
mine do that also first thing in the morning or when cold. But yes u killed your bb so it should clear up within a few weeks. Next time use your tank water to rinse ?

I also just checked my ph. It usually sits at 7.2 but it's at about 6. I'm a little worried because one molly died today while I was at class. And the others aren't looking so hot. Anyway I can raise my ph for the time being?

You killed most of you BB and your tank is pretty much re cycling. Whats your ammonia levels at now.

Brad is correct by cleaning the filter and changing your water at the same time will cause you to kill off a lot of beneficial bacteria. You should be doing only around 25-50% water changes and NEVER clean your filters the same day you do a water change. Your tank sounds like it is being recycled I would recommend testing your water if possible or going yo your lfs to get it tested

Thanks. I added some ph increaser just to try to get them a little more active for the time being. They seem to be doing a little better and are at least eating now. It's also helping the water clear up.

Thanks. I added some ph increaser just to try to get them a little more active for the time being. They seem to be doing a little better and are at least eating now. It's also helping the water clear up.
yeah just ne'er make the mistake again haha! Life's all about learning lessons, now you know! Let's see some pics of the little guys now!

Whats the ammonia levels looking like? Is the tank still cloudy?

The main reason your tank is recycling is because when ph falls to below 6.5 biological activity slows. When ph falls to 6 or below biological activity stops and BB begins to die off. You can temporarily increase ph using baking soda but if this is a long term problem the best way to deal with it is to add crushed coral to your filter or put some in a media bag and put it under the filter outflow. The CC will release buffers into your water increasing ph and stabilizing it. You only need to start with alittle CC, wait a few days and see how much Ph has increased, then add a bit more and repeat until your desired ph level is reached. Mollies like high ph, gh, and kh.

So rivercats will BB grow at all below 6ph or is it a different type of BB similar to freshwater or saltwater BB?

Well guys, it's started. It's official.

I'm dealing with columnaris. Again.

I had a really bad outbreak of it in February and it killed off all but 6 of my fish before it finally disappeared. I've only seen it in my tanks once before.

I came home tonight to find several fish with fuzz growing off of their gills and slime beginning to spot up their bodies. I hate seeing my fish sick because I feel like I let them down.

Have you gotten your ammonia tested yet?

Brad is correct by cleaning the filter and changing your water at the same time will cause you to kill off a lot of beneficial bacteria. You should be doing only around 25-50% water changes and NEVER clean your filters the same day you do a water change. Your tank sounds like it is being recycled I would recommend testing your water if possible or going yo your lfs to get it tested

Cleaning your filters the same time you do a water change. The water in the tank is fairly devoid of life and changing the water will have no detectable impact on the BB in your tank. The filter media needs to be rinsed out in old tank water to preserve the BB on it though. I do however agree that the water absolutely needs to be tested.

So rivercats will BB grow at all below 6ph or is it a different type of BB similar to freshwater or saltwater BB?

BB will start dying off at a ph below 6. There is no other different type of BB for low ph situations.

Well I've flushed 7 fish today. All mollies. I removed the decor just so I can see everyone. It weird though. It doesn't seem to be affecting the tetras or cories at all. Just the mollies and guppies.

Back
Top Bottom