Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkmuller55

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First my tank has 1 betta is 5.5 gallons was fully cycled 11 months a go before I got her. This tank was doing great all this time. Last month I thought my filter needed changed so I put a second one to seed it. I removed the old one two weeks and now today I did a partial water change. I was noticing small green algae on the parts of the glass and on some silk leaves that it didn't do before. When prior water tests were done all parameters were great
When I did the water change I forgot to test the water I took out as I always do. Now to my dilemma the water has a little hue of hazy water . I hope this new filter isn't my problem or if this will clear up. She means everything and I am worried. Any advice will be helpful.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Has this cloudiness been an ongoing thing? In moving the filter/ cleaning the tank you could have just disturbed some sediment(uneated food/poop) that had settled and things of that sort. algae isn't a big deal, could put an amano shrimp or mystery/nerite snail in if you're worried about it.

Is it a brand new filter or a filter cartridge?

No not an on going thing just happened after I cleaned the tank. Filter cartridge but the first one had been in since the fish less cycle January 2015 then fully cycled February I added my betta. I thought it looked worn so I put a new one with the old one for over a month to make sure it seeded. Then took it out two weeks a go and tank was clear. This water change it did this. But two weeks a go after the water change I noticed stuff collecting on the leaves along with green algae a little at the inside bottom rim of glass close to the gravel. I wiped off the leaves which before stayed clean thinking I created a algae bloom. I tested this new water and no alarms where permit erst are concerned. Does this sound like an issue?

I wouldn't be too worried about it. i still think it sounds like something just got stirred up. Maybe 25% water changed daily till it clears up. Does the betta seem ok, acting normal and all of that good stuff. When you do one of these water changed take out the filter and take it apart if possibly and try cleaning it well(In the tank water.) I try to do this every 2-3 months and after i do this my filters always run better and the tanks look cleaner. also when yo take it apart give the actual filter cartridge a good cleaning in the tank water. Up and down smack it(gently) against the side of the bucket and run your fingers around it for a few mins.

All of this i think you will be fine. If it doesn't clean in a few days after doing the W/C and cleaning the filter i would maybe take another look at it.

Betta is fine and acting normal. I was thinking of getting a aquaclear filter due to three chamber media to help with beneficial bactetia. The one I have is the charcoal inclosed kind not a good type to use. But with that change how do I seed it. I could use the present one somehow. Anyway thanks for the help I feel better now. :)

If all you have is a betta in there i dont feel like theres a need for all that media. This silk plant and the glass is more that enough surface area for 1 fish. Beneficial bacteria only grows to balance the amount of ammonia there is to feed that bacteria.

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

Back
Top Bottom