cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minoubinette

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok, I have a 33 gal tank with goldfish. It's been up and running for 4 months now and the water is still cloudy. I used to have my huge fish in my 10 gal and the water was never cloudy. And now I check the PH more often to at least bring it to neutral and do more water changes... does anyone know what's up?

oh btw, a month ago, it was crystal clear and when I was doing a filter change, I dropped by accident the sponge from the filter and ever since it's been cloudy again.

ARGHHHH!

Attachments

• poissons_049.jpg
    poissons_049.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 86
  • poissons_041.jpg
    poissons_041.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 97
It appears as though you have at least 4 goldfish in that tank. I can't explain the reason why the 10 gallon water was crystal clear, but 4 goldfish for a 30 gallon tank is well... quite a few. You might start by doing water changes 2-3 times a week of maybe 10 gallons of water each time. Make sure you siphon the gravel real good. It could possibly be over feeding as well. Those goldfish really like to eat, so I would say they aren't eating everything you are feeding them in a timely manner or else thier poop is clouding the tank.
Just do more frequent water changes, but I wouldnt' recommend changing more than 30% of the water at any given time.
HTH
-Stewie

Minoubinette,

cool your from Quebec, I have tons of family there. Like was quoted about 4 goldfish for a 33 gallon tank is a lot, and goldfish tend to be waste factories. There are several factors that can contricute to cloudy water.

I dont think dropping the sponge from the filter had anything to do with it. What it sounds like to me is you have a bacteria bloom in your tank, meaning that you dont have enough beneficial bacteria to clean out the sediments, and overtake the negative bacteria. Seachem makes a product called Stability that will help this, and if you get some dose it as if you were setting up a new tank ... that will be a load of beneficial bacteria that should clean out your tank.

I would upgrade filtration and get an Emperor 400. Goldfish like oxygen and are not current hungrey fish so the Emperor would provide good filtration, and gas exchange, and they are not terribly expensive. At least one change of water per week with Stability is a must, since in my opinion the tank is a little overcrowded.

If that does not work using Hagen's P-Clear would remove any sediments in the water that could cause cloudiness, but I think you have a bloom.

it's a whisperer 20-40, they were really expensive the 30 and up so i got that one. 60$!!!!!! 8O
And when I set up my tank in the begining i put some cycling for the beneficial bacteria, water was fine... when adding the fish then my water got clear after 4 months. and seriously people, when I dropped that sponge, my water became immidiatly cloudy again and didn't go back to clear. I check my ph a lot and try to bring it up... right now it's at 6.8. and amonia is at 0.

But ya, I'll be doing more frequent water changes... though 2 or 3 a week I won't have time for that... I already have a 10 gal with mother platy and a 1 gal with fry to take care of. I'll at least do 1 a week though.

thanx everyone! xox

Actually if you have a bacterial bloom water changes will only make it worse. I would attempt to get that Seachem product Stability and give it a good two weeks before any changes, letting the bacteria colonize.

I forgot how much more expensive stuff is in Canada as opposed to the U.S. If I were you see if you can order an Emperor for a good price online, that would likely solve your issue running both the Emperor and the Whisper.

The general rule for having goldfish is 15 gallons per fish.I also have a 30 gallon with just 2 goldfish and find it a challenge to maintain good water parameters.If you aren't now,feed them smaller amounts of food twice daily.Do a 25% water change weekly.Replacing too much water at once will interupt the cycling of beneficial bacteria. Live plants such as anubia will help to utilize the nitrates.Goldfish don't like to eat them.A better filter is needed.If an HOB is desired,go with an aquaclear.If you have live plants, a cannister will work best. Jebo and Rena Filstar are both excellent and not costly like the Eheim or Fluval. Jebo 825 can be purchased for $45.00 at the superfishstore.com.It will work very well on your size tank.It's rated for tanks up to 100 gallons.I use one and recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom