Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agoins4

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had my tank setup (~30gal) since last June. Right now I have 3 little orange tetras, a orange molly, an angel fish, and a placo. I do have a large piece of driftwood, but that should have long since cleared whatever was in it. It was used in another aquarium previously and stored for several years.
I never have any algae at all. I wonder if my water quality is bad, or does the placo eat it before its visible? I do supplement it with algae tabs.
I have a water test kit and everything is in normal range. I really don't see what else is left here.

I bought a brazilian sword plant earlier today. That should help judge water quality too I hope

For filtering i have a HOB filter, and an undergravel filter, with a pump at the end of the tubing coming up from the outlet. I do water changes every 2-3 weeks. I keep my temp at 76F

First, dont add any algea supplements, it does nothing but screw up your water parameters.

Second, get rid of the undergravel filter, thats just for suckers who dont know better. It traps feces under the gravel to let it rot.

Third, you should do 25-50 percent water changes weekly.

I just got that small plant today, and the bulb is what came with the housing. I'm probably going to build my own sometime soon.

pH 6.7
Nitrite 0
Ammonia .02

Its odd on the ammonia. I did a 30% change two days ago and siphoned the gravel very good. The 5gal bucket's bottom was not visible when it was only half full. I think I may be overfeeding, but that doesn't account for it getting cloudy two days after, when they have only gotten a small amount.

Is weekly changes the consensus? I have heard both sides about every two weeks, to ensure bacteria remains plentiful.

Water changes wont effect bacteria. Change as often as you want. Is the water green and cloudy so you can not see through it? It sounds like you need to do a blackout.

I read about that earlier... but I bought that plant today. Would it be possible to sit it in a cup near the window for a few hours so it can get some daylight?

If your water is green and dark. The plant is the least of your problems. How long do you keep the lights on? Any direct sunlight?

Back
Top Bottom