Cloudy water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have my 55 gal tank set up cycleing, and the water is getting cloudy and there are no fish in it yet. Anyone know why? I want to go get some fish soon but not if I'm gonna have to clean this thing out again before I do. :roll:

Are you adding ammonia to cycle it? Sounds like a bacteria bloom to me.

If so, its a GOOD thing (means the bacteria are reproducing) and it will clear up fairly quickly.

yes, it is a bacterial bloon (a good, beneficial bacteria) and this is a common problem in new tanks. if you are always cleaning the tank out every time it gets cloudy, you are only making the problem worse as you are killing any bacteria that have formed and causing them to bloom again.

some reccomended products are cycle (a supplemental bacteria that will help the process happen faster), BClear (a product to help clear the cloudy water) and AccuClear (also clears the water). HOwever, if left to it's own devices, the tank will clear itself.

before you add fish, have your water tested for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. if those readings check out, you can add a FEW fish at a time until your maximum load is reached.

Were you adding ammonia to your tank? You said you were cycling, but didn't mention anything about ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings.

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/plankton/blooms.shtml

Check out that link about cloudy water in new tanks...it's a good read. I would avoid adding anything to your tank to chemically "treat" the cloudiness...patience should be your best cure.

If you aren't fishless cycling already (the details are sort of vague in this thread), check out another good article from SA http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/startover/fishless.shtml and consider cycling without fish. You'll have a better bacterial filter when finished, and no fish will be harmed.

If you are fishless cycling, then you need ammonia to replace what the fish contributes to the cycle, so in the absence of fish and the absence of ammonia you have a container of water, no cycle. If you go get your fish, get hardy ones and watch your water carefully for ammonia and nitrite, as you will be cycling the tank with these fish, and it will take as long as six weeks (my experience, though many go quicker than that).

I was using a product called cycle. But I have now added some fish to the tank. My lfs said that (after he tested it) my water was fine and I could add a few fish at a time. They sure look happy and alot healthier that the one's I was getting from trash tank world. I did go with a community tank setup with tropical fish, no goldfish!!! Got 2 bali sharks, 2 dalmation (I don't know what they are), 2 bleeding hearts. and a couple of others. I'll be keeping an eye on all my levels and adjusting accordingly. I did notice that after 2 hrs of being in my tank, my tank was no longer cloudy. :D

Excellent on keeping your eye on those water parameters; you'll need to! Your tank was not cycled at all (that Cycle product? Is poo IMHO). Without ammonia to feed the bacteria, there isn't any. *grin* And now you've added a source of ammonia.

Do keep in mind it will take a little while for those bacterial colonies to grow big enough to handle the load of the fish waste; be prepared for lots of water changes! And keep a very close eye on your fish; not all of them may be strong enough to survive a cycle (and slap that lfs for selling you all those fish to put into an uncycled tank!!). If any of them appear to be having breathing probs, water change IMMEDIATELY!! Could be a sign of ammonia/nitrite poisoning.

Well IMHO, everybody does things a little differently. You can't say this lfs don't know what he is talking about until you have been in his shop and saw his fish. I have been checking my tank since setting it up on the 7th, today the only thing I can see wrong is my co2 level is a little high. After checking my filters I found them to be "jacked up" in the unit. So I pushed them down where they are supposed to be. Just for the record, My ph is 7.0, my ammonia level is <.03, my water is now crystal clear and my fish are very ROBUST, IE. they are playing all over the tank, and checking out all of their new enviorment.

I will continue to check the tank every day and I am monitoring and writing down the levels so that I can chart them. :D

Oh absolutely :) We all have our different opinions and experiences; is what makes this such a great site! I didn't say he didn't know what he was talking about, but thats a lot of fish for an uncycled tank; most lfs will restrain themselves from selling that many for an uncycled tank as they don't want to have to take back dead fish (can't say I blame em!).

Ignore the crystal clear thing LOL ammonia and nitrites are not visible to the naked eye. Keep on as you are doing with those tests and thumbs up on the charting! Your ammonia is already starting to spike; you may want to check twice a day to keep a real close eye on things. Hopefully things will go quickly; I have my fingers crossed for ya :)

How is my ammonia starting to spike? That is the lowest level on my chart. I was reading it less than .03. Did I type it wrong?

When I say less than .03. It shows a yellow color for that and mine is not even making it to that color. It's alot lighter than the chart shows. I'm going back to the lfs today so I'll have him check it also. Just to be on the safe side.

Excellent idea; always good to have test result confirmed. You must use a diff test then I: mine start off at 0 specifically.

As for how *grin* you've added fish. They are starting to pee n poo in there LOL plus, they give off ammonia during respiration. Is why those tests are so important to all of us, even with cycled tanks. The cycle doesn't end once ammonia and nitrites are 0, and nitrates show up. Its a continuous and variable thing, and any change in the environment can causes changes in water parameters (changes in fish, chemicals added, water supply additives from the water company, etc). Some angelfish breeders I know were having MAJOR problems with fry deaths earlier this year. Turns out something happened with the water supply and there was ammonia in the tap water! Can you imagine? They were getting ammonia readings from the tank water, and initially were trying to dilute it with treated tap water as is standard; they tested the tap water when the ammonia levels didn't change and sure enough. There was the source.

Yea, that would be a mess. When I have to change water I'm gonna treat it with the start right stuff. and then test it for ammonia before it gets in my tank (If I have to I'll go buy 55 gal of spring water).

Gotta say I'm sorry. I was giving you the wrong chart info. You are right my ammonia level is 0.0, I was looking at my notes and wrote down the n02 level which is <.03. Sorry! Of course <.03 is fine for the Nitrite. I'm still new to this. All these "shorthand" notes are confusing.

Back
Top Bottom