Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2005, 10:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cloudy water after a pwc??

Hi all....

Got a question that I'm a little curious about. I do 50% pwc weekly on my 20 gall tank, thoroughly vacuuming the gravel each time. I use the Python to do the changes. I've noticed that immediately after the pwc the water is a little hazy/cloudy. The fish don't seem affected by it in the least, they just love the water changes. The haziness/cloudiness clears up within several hours but I'm just wondering if anyone else notices this or if it's something I should be concerned about?

The tank is fully cycled, stocked with 5 Platies, 8 Lemon Tetras, and 2 Dwarf Gourami (soon to be one--one is going to a new home).

Any ideas on this? Thanks!

Old 11-05-2005, 11:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Sometimes depending on the amount of things stirred up from the gravel or sand, the tank can get cloudy. If your water parameters are normal don't worry about it. NH3 0 ppm, NO2 0 ppm, NH3 10 ppm or a bit more.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 11:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Checked all the parameters before and after the most recent pwc.....all good. NH3 and NO2 are both 0. My Nitrates have not been much higher than 5 ppm so far--I guess because I change so much water (??).

Thanks much!
Old 11-05-2005, 12:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your Nitrates could also be low because you have a low bioload. My 55 gal tank normally stays at 5 ppm Nitrates and that's only doing a 10% water change each week. I'm not sure on your inhabitants, but that could be why.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 04:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Actually, I kind of wondered about that. I was worried that I was overstocked but would love to add a few more Tetras if it wouldn't upset the balance too much. I currently have 5 Platies, 8 Lemon Tetras, and a Dwarf Gourami.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

My tank is always cloudy for about 10 minutes after a water change. It is always crystal clear again within 20 minutes of the change. That is totally normal.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it clears up within a few hours like you say, the cloudiness is just dissolved gases coming out of the water. You probably also notice tiny bubbles on the glass and decorations too. Totally normal after a PWC.

Tags
cloud, cloudy, cloudy water, pwc

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com