Cloudy Water After Filter Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lardeelion

Aquarium Advice Freak
Morning everyone. I'm new here - this is my inaugural post. Hi.

I've had my 55-gallon up and running for almost 8 years now, so I have a well-established tank. Yesterday I made the switch to a canister filter. I had both running for a week to give the canister time to build up bacteria. I'd intended to let them both run for 2 or 3 more weeks, but the HOB gave up the ghost yesterday. I stuffed the biowheels into the canister. The filter cartridges (the kind with carbon) were removed because I was doing an ich treatment. One fish is sick and is in a hospital tank. I was doing a cautionary dose in the big tank.

The carbon was also removed from the canister because of the ich meds.

Now the water is just slightly cloudy. It's slight enough that I keep asking myself if I'm crazy. I tested yesterday and everything was normal. Normally I'd just do a water change. But since I just dosed with ich meds, I'm thinking I should wait a day. The fish seem fine. So, a) What might the cloudiness be? and b) When can I do a water change after an ich dose? Wait until tomorrow? This afternoon?

A sub-question: the clown loach with the ich spots is in a hospital tank. Nobody in the 55 has any spots. How many times should I treat the 55? (Temp is around 83 right now. Not sure if I should crank it up.)

Enjoying the site!

(I know the clowns will need a bigger tank when they "grow up". At the moment they are very small.)

55-gallon planted tank, fluorite substrate
Cascade 1000 canister filter
4 congo tetras
3 black skirt tetras
2 white skirt tetras
4 baby clown loaches
1 burmese loach
1 betta waiting for his tank to cycle

Back
Top Bottom