Cloudy water and alge!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I after shifting through threads where people said the tried it and it did nothing, I finally found one page claiming it could be done. I'm not sold. It doesn't even sound like the OP has GW, but just cloudy water.

Treat causes, not symptoms.

You have no idea what peroxide does do you?

Lol typical. Your just like most people in the world. Judge something you know nothing about or really don't want to even learn about.

Sad

Hydrogen peroxide is a fairly potent oxidizing agent. It's commonly sold at 3% potency (diluted in water) from drug stores, but can be found at higher concentrations in some places, up to 30%. It can be purchased in higher potencies for certain industrial or academic purposes.

It spontaneously dissociates in water (a process that can be enhanced by the use of certain catalytic metals) to create reactive radical oxygen species. These reactive molecules go on to attack the lipid membranes of any cellular life, including bacteria, algal, or multicellular organisms. This causes a chain reaction that can either compromise the integrity of the membrane (thereby killing the cell) or activate apoptotic pathways. Either way, dead cell. Multicellular organisms such as fish, plants, and inverts are usually less bothered by it as their outer epithelial cells can easily be replaced, and the animals usually have defensive mechanisms to prevent premature apoptosis. That being said, some research has suggested that long term use of hydrogen peroxide can hamper immune development.

When using any sort of chemical in a tank, it is important to consider the bystanders of such an act. While you might dump in peroxide to kill algae, it is an indiscriminate killer. It's commonly used in waste water treatment because it will pretty much kill everything. Your heterotrophic bacteria in the substrate and chemoautotrophic bacteria present in your filter could both potentially be at risk. While hydrogen peroxide is commonly used as a spot treatment, it is used in dosages roughly in line with Seachem excel, but the dosage you recommended is roughly fourty times the amount used in a spot application.

Both cloudy water and GW have manageable proximal causes. Even if you had some sort of a miracle cure, if you don't fix the main cause (or in the case of cloudy water, let the heterotrophic bacteria establish themselves), then your problem will eventually resurface. Let say you had two male cichlids in a tank, and one beats the snot out of the second, eventually putting him to within an inch of his life. So you remove him, put him in QT, nurse him back to health, and put him back in your tank. The next day you found he's been beat up again. Why? You didn't address the problem. Algae problems are the same way: people spend tons and tons of time dealing with the secondary and tertial algae issue, but refuse to address core issues.

So yea, I know what hydrogen peroxide is. In fact, I bet I know more about it than you. Your childish retorts are not appreciated. If you have issues with something, address the issues, not the poster.

Thanks or the advice, I shall keep up with my cleaning and hopefully it will pass. As long as its not hurting my fish then I suppose I can put up with it!

P8ntball thank you for your suggestions but please don't be rude when someone doesn't agree with your ideology everyone has different opinions and thoughts.

Thanks everyone and I hope you have a good Xmas! :D

You might keep an eye on it for a day to see if it's ever getting direct sunlight. That could potentially be a real problem.

aqua_chem said:
Hydrogen peroxide is a fairly potent oxidizing agent. It's commonly sold at 3% potency (diluted in water) from drug stores, but can be found at higher concentrations in some places, up to 30%. It can be purchased in higher potencies for certain industrial or academic purposes.

It spontaneously dissociates in water (a process that can be enhanced by the use of certain catalytic metals) to create reactive radical oxygen species. These reactive molecules go on to attack the lipid membranes of any cellular life, including bacteria, algal, or multicellular organisms. This causes a chain reaction that can either compromise the integrity of the membrane (thereby killing the cell) or activate apoptotic pathways. Either way, dead cell. Multicellular organisms such as fish, plants, and inverts are usually less bothered by it as their outer epithelial cells can easily be replaced, and the animals usually have defensive mechanisms to prevent premature apoptosis. That being said, some research has suggested that long term use of hydrogen peroxide can hamper immune development.

When using any sort of chemical in a tank, it is important to consider the bystanders of such an act. While you might dump in peroxide to kill algae, it is an indiscriminate killer. It's commonly used in waste water treatment because it will pretty much kill everything. Your heterotrophic bacteria in the substrate and chemoautotrophic bacteria present in your filter could both potentially be at risk. While hydrogen peroxide is commonly used as a spot treatment, it is used in dosages roughly in line with Seachem excel, but the dosage you recommended is roughly fourty times the amount used in a spot application.

Both cloudy water and GW have manageable proximal causes. Even if you had some sort of a miracle cure, if you don't fix the main cause (or in the case of cloudy water, let the heterotrophic bacteria establish themselves), then your problem will eventually resurface. Let say you had two male cichlids in a tank, and one beats the snot out of the second, eventually putting him to within an inch of his life. So you remove him, put him in QT, nurse him back to health, and put him back in your tank. The next day you found he's been beat up again. Why? You didn't address the problem. Algae problems are the same way: people spend tons and tons of time dealing with the secondary and tertial algae issue, but refuse to address core issues.

So yea, I know what hydrogen peroxide is. In fact, I bet I know more about it than you. Your childish retorts are not appreciated. If you have issues with something, address the issues, not the poster.

Peroxide fixes the main issues of cloudiness it doesnt just over it all up.

Peroxide added to a tank. Groups all the bacteria, alge. Ect. Its simple it groups all the cells together and allows the filter to a better chance a picking it up.

When this are bigger it's easier get pick up my the filter. Simple as that.

Unfortunately my tank is about 9ft from my patio doors and there is nowhere else for it to go. It's only recently I've had this problem i will keep up the pwc and keep every finger crossed ;)

maestromad said:
Unfortunately my tank is about 9ft from my patio doors and there is nowhere else for it to go. It's only recently I've had this problem i will keep up the pwc and keep every finger crossed ;)

good luck :) maybe you can put up a shade or curtain during the day

Thanks it's not very sunny here at the minute luckily. I've just done a huge water change and clean, also put a new carbon/poly filter in to see if that helps a bit. Think I'll keep the frequent water changes my fish are so active afterwards lol

Hydrogen peroxide isn't a flocculant. It actually will deactivate commercial flocculants.

How is the algae going? Cloudy water still cloudy, clearing up, turning green?

Hello I did a 40l change yest and still cloudy water was green after change but I suppose that's to be expected. Not sure how long I can hold out its hard to count and check the face lol

Is it possible that you could be over feeding? Try fasting your fish for a few days. My only other suggestion is to try a blackout which can be done simultaneously with a fast.

Thanks and merry Christmas! I feed twice a day a small amount of flakes an pellets every other day for my corys. I'll give them a fast today but can't see me holding out for more than a day lol!

Check for phosphates, I had a problem with hair algae, the fuzzy stuff, found out high phosphates can cause this. Alot of your test kits don't check for this, you have to get a phosphate test kit. Solved my dilemma.

Thanks I shal do that I know I have vouchers for my LFS for Christmas when I finally finish work!!

Back
Top Bottom