Cloudy water and dirty glass! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes i agree I would not be as concerned with bacteria dying due to lack of ammonia.

I would be more concerned with power failure personally with my aqua clear draining back into my aquarium and drying out my filter which would kill those bacteria.

This is understanding the fact that beneficial bacteria are present thurought the aquarium. However, in a newly established aquarium one in which the biofilter is just establishing a sufficient amount of bacteria to nitrify ammonia that even slight decrease in bacteria could be enough to cause elevated ammonia and affect one's fish

-I do Agree that not all bodies of water depend Mechanical filtration systems otherwise how would you have striving and functional ponds or lakes.. but my line of thought is..?which may be completely wrong..? It really depends on the environment in which the specific strand of nitrifying bacteria grew.. for example the nitrifying bacteria in a swamp have developed and multiplied in an environment with almost no fresh water flow where as the bacteria that have grown in one's filter are a type that have developed and grown in an environment with constant High Water flows with higher Oxygen Saturation

Now if you stop that fresh o2 supply constantly flowing over Bacteria that have a developed a pretty rapid metabolism due to the High oxygen rich water flow of a filter my assumption would be that the bacteria become ineffective and hibernate or die.?

If you couple that with co2 build up and secondary decreased partial pressure of o2 in the water and you have a potetional for your biosystem to have taken a hit.. i do believe that is why some people have experienced "mini cycles" after power outages of even just 8-12 hrs.. of course along with altered temp and other influences

If one was concerned about the filter media drying out, surely they would just remove it and place it in the tank?

I'm also working on the notion that this tank is cycled or very close to being cycled.

There are so many variables as to why there is a problem. We don't know how big the tank is or how many fish are in the tank or how much the op is feeding or what the ops source water contains.

I personally just don't believe that there is going to be a detrimental effect on the ecosystem if the filter is switched off for a number of hours. If you are at risk of drying out just take the filter media out and place it in the tank. Do small water changes to replenish O2, release co2 and replenish buffers.

I agree filter would be fine if switched off for a few hours. The bacteria can go for a long time without ammonia and it would take a good long while to deplete all the oxygen in the water it rests in.

I actually had an issue on Tues where when my tank popped on at 3PM my water was really cloudy. I discovered that my sump pump had malfunctioned and my filter wasn't running! It could have been like that for up to 15 hours. Got the pump working again and the tank cleared up within 20 minutes. Several of my trays of sponge material are even out of the water.

You said your goldfish was sick, what is it doing, if the Amm is high that will indeed make you fish sick, how many do you have in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom