cloudy water, but NOT a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tank-challenged

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
10 gallon tank, with goldfish:

okay, so the water was clear as can be a few days ago... and i mistakenly did a pwc (with the gravel vacuum) and didn't pay attention and changed a good 50% of the water.

started getting cloudy -- did all the tests (ph, amm, nit) and all checked out as okay. so what's with the cloudiness? and what to do now?

how many goldfish and what kind? IMO more than 1 goldie per 10g is too many.

what are "fine" readings? NH3, NO2 = 0 and NO3 < 20 are ideal

what kind of filtration do you use? did you replace any filter media recently?

chances are, that the cloudiness is a bacteria bloom and will go away on its own - you likely killed off most of your bacteria population and it will take some time to re-establish itself. You might go through a mini cycle and if so, you will need to do small PWCs frequently to keep ammonia and nitrite readings < 0.5 ppm.

edit: did you vacuum the gravel or just use it to replace water? also, how often do you usually replace water and gravel vac?

Changing 50% of the water will not cause a tank to be cloudy unless there is another problem. What color is the cloud?

Your tank is more than likely overloaded. How long has it been setup? Has it cycled? Overfeeding or switching foods can cause a bacteria bloom.

I've had tanks get suddenly cloudy, usually because of needing water change or strangely enough, the other day one of my cats threw a tree leaf into one tank!

I would have to agree, goldfish need 10 gals per fish. I have goldies in an overstocked tank because I had to rescue them. I've given a few away to help but I run 2 large filters and do pwc's every 3 days. After we move they will be getting a 90 to themselves. The water in their tank can get very cloudy in a hurry when 3 days has gone by. I would guess overstocking is your cause of cloudy water.

Back
Top Bottom