Cloudy water concerns?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woptang22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I thought the water in my new 60 gallon was cloudy or filled with residue from the crushed coral. I have 2 fluval 4 plus internal filters and an API/Rena XPL 175 gallon canister filter. WHen I unplug the canister the water seems to clear up in minutes. Ive now realized its not residue in the water, it seems to be tiny bubbles. But it makes the water look nasty. THe aquarium is only around a month old. Will these bubbles ever disappear or do I have to deal with cloudy looking water all the time?

If bubbles are coming out of the canister then air must be getting in from somewhere. Check your connections. Also maybe tip the canister to each side a few times to try to get the air out.

I don't know about the Rena canisters but the big Fluval FX5's will do that when media is packed in too tight or when polishing filter material is used and gets dirty. Which filter is throwing the bubbles?

Well the bubbles have cleared up and the water looks clear. On the very top of the water you can see a bit of crushed coral residue still hanging around. Other then that, everything seems to be good. Only issue is everytime I test the water for Ph, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, the only issue seems to be ammonia.. Ph seems good for african cichlids at around 8.0-8.2. Nitrites are zero, nitrates are around 10 and ammonia is at .25 which Im being told isnt horrible. But still showing ammonia which isnt good. So what could this be? Is doesnt go higher then .25 but it also doesnt lower to zero?

Back
Top Bottom