Cloudy Water Darn It

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmpgop

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi.

So I've been doing water changes every day for 4 days (1/3) as my nitrates were 80+ppm. I have 2 danios who haven't been feeling (acting) well and I figured this would be the problem.

Anywho - Today after I did my water change, I ran out for a couple of hours, came home and then noticed that my water was a little white/cloudy.

Here's some nitty:

2 days ago I added two Java plants.

I use Kent pro dechlorinator.

I tested my water when I got home. O trites, O ammonia, 8.4 ph (always normal for my water), 20 to 40 ppm trates.

Before the water change today trates were back up at 80ppm.

I run 2 penguin marineland bio filters. I have a tetra whisper air pump with a 1 inch stone (I turned it off when I got home after I noticed the couldy water).

I changed 1 filter Tuesday (but the filter I used was seeding in the penguin for 2 -3 weeks with the filter I removed). The other penguin has the same filter in it though I rinsed in tank water on Tuesday.

Sooooooooo - what is up with this couldy water?

I'm guessing maybe a bacterial bloom? But my tank has been fully cycled since July? Or could it have been cloudy water from my tap?

Ideas? Should I worry about it?

Thanks!

Why are your nitrate levels so high? That is the main problem in my opinion. How big is the tank? And also it could very well be a bacteria bloom.

Boy oh boy I wish I knew why my nitrate levels are so high. I can't seem to keep them down. I do weekly water changes regularly with vacuuming. I do not believe I am overfeeding.

36 gallon - Sable Marble Angel, Pearl Gourami, 4 danios, Pleco, 1 apple snail.

Turns out that the water is clear now BTW - probably came from my tap. :( I despise my tap water.

The couldy water came from my tap.......... I wasn't saying that my tap has nitrates... Original post was about cloudy water.

(though my tap does have .5 ammonia :( )

Yeah - I've tested the trates from the tap twice in the last couple of weeks. With how horrible my water is, I was surprised they were 0... I guess I just have to do PWCs twice a week. They fish deserve that if I can't do anything else!

Do you have an udergravel filter? And a 1 inch fish needs basically two crisp at feeding time for a guide line. At least that's what I use.

No - I am use 2 marineland biowheel 200's. I use a natural flake food. It is a true dehydrated flaked fish food. Very fine... I will pay closer attention to how much food I'm putting in the water. The angel eats almost everything sometimes. He's such a PIG! Then I feel as if the little guys don't get anything? What do you do then? You know? Eh... I really don't think I feed too much BUT it could use some better monitoring.

I'm going to test the water again today to see if another change is needed or if I can start spacing it out to every other, then two times per week. I'm thinking with the pleco, perhaps I need to change the water twice per week verses just once? And I always change the water the day after giving bloodworms or brind shrimp.

Maybe it truly is just a food issue?

I'll work on that and go from here.

But at least the water cleared last night :)

There is always food in a fish tank. I have went a week without feedin my fish and they were fine. How big is your pleco? I have a sailfin also and he is about 7.8inchs... In a 110 gallon with maybe 17 fish. Not a lot in it and it shows. Our nitrates levels rise so slow in that tank. What size of tanks is it again. Maybe it is over stocked. That would raise nitrates

My Pleco is about 7 inches now - I took him from a friend who had him in a 20 gallon. 36 is better for him but no, not ideal. I am looking in to planting my 72 gallon so I don't think he'll be moved. He'll probably stay in the 36 with a few small schools (danios, cherry barbs, neons) of fish and the snail.

And yeah, including the Pleco, right now I only have 2 danios, 1 angel, and 1 gourami - oh and a snail.

I'm going to do another 1/3rd water change tonight - but I think I'm going to just now feed in the AM only and see how it goes.

Thank you!

If feeding twice a day you need to feed less at feeding time. IMO I feed twice a day and just recently cut back on the amount of food at feeding time. My male kribs comes out a lot more and goes crazy for the food. Before, he would only go for the food that came within an inch of his cave.

Back
Top Bottom