Cloudy water issues in large tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lokilow

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, I recently (end of November) moved my 40gal contents over to a 90 gal tank. Since then I haven't been able to get clear water in the tank and wanted to see what you all thought.

Its white cloudy which I thought mightve been a bacterial bloom but its 3 months later and hasnt gotten better. When I first setup the tank I used my old substrate and plants and my filter to help establish the tank quickly. At the same time I bought a SICCE 350 canister filter (rated for 90gal) and ran it alongside the old filter.

Water parameters are normal 0,0,pretty much 0. All fish are healthy, tank is heavily planted. Upgraded lights on it but used old lights for a bit. I run CO2 injection and small amounts of ferts. Small wave maker in tank to help with circulation.
Water changes once a week 20ish%.

By this point I am starting to wonder if the canister filter is just under performing but wanted to see what you all thought. Ive never had this issue and not been able to clear it up. But I also have never had such a large tank.

Here is a picture-
IqoBEzU.jpg

Interesting read and this is the only article that I've seen that states the filter should run 3 months to clean up the bloom. I have plenty of "brown gunk" in the filter as is but with plenty of room for more. So it's possible i would just let it be in auto pilot longer and not do sponge rinses (been doing this with water changes just as i would my filters on my other tanks).

I'll let the filter run 3 months without touching it and see what it does. I pray it clears up sooner than later. I want to show off the build to everyone.

Whats ur ph ,? I had a tank that did this , my ph was 6.4 so I added crushed seashells to raise the ph . and for some strange reason it cleared the water ... (took a few days)

Whats ur ph ,? I had a tank that did this , my ph was 6.4 so I added crushed seashells to raise the ph . and for some strange reason it cleared the water ... (took a few days)
Great. That's because at a pH of 6.4 your bacteria is shutdown by over 90% so no ammonia oxidation occurs. Once you got it up like over 7, you filter bacteria takes off again and does it's job. Very good.

PH is 7.6 most of the time. Fishwonders link is good information and you should look at it. I do wish their tests were a bit better documented about setup, testing, and then results. Most of it is short on setup and then just goes over results. More pictures wouldve been great too.

Not an answer

I have a question. What is that suction cup planter thing? Looks like something I should get for my lilies.

Thank you both! I have water lily bulbs in my 15gal and right now I just am floating them on the top corralled in a corner with betta beds that I’m no longer using since my betta died. Woke up to one having sunk to the bottom. XD my tank is too deep to aquascape.

Thank you both! I have water lily bulbs in my 15gal and right now I just am floating them on the top corralled in a corner with betta beds that I’m no longer using since my betta died. Woke up to one having sunk to the bottom. XD my tank is too deep to aquascape.

My tank is 24" deep and you can see my Lily's are from bottom to top. And they have put out other bulbs and they are doing great as well

Great. That's because at a pH of 6.4 your bacteria is shutdown by over 90% so no ammonia oxidation occurs. Once you got it up like over 7, you filter bacteria takes off again and does it's job. Very good.
Thankyou fishwonder, its great to learn the science behind what's going on in the tank .

So as an update i just left the tank since the post and added more sponge that the website suggested. The cloudy water got terrible before it got better, so bad you couldn't see 6 inches into it. I turned off the lights and just let it do it's thing.
About a week ago it got super clear and i could resume normal operation.

Back
Top Bottom