Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2021, 08:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Cloudy water Need help

Hello Everyone,

I started a new tank approx. 8 weeks ago ( 90 Gallon ) I'm running an FX6
filter with all mechanical, bio, and chemical puregen I cleaned out my filter 4 days which was barely dirty.

I currently have 6 African cichlids 3" to 4" length and 1 big common pleco approx. 7" inches in length.

For substrate I'm using small to medium sized gravel.

After approx. 12 days from setting up my aquarium water started to get cloudy and sometimes gets better and sometimes after I clean the substrate and remove approx. 15% of the water it increases the cloudiness.

Here are the results from my test strips.

GH 60
KH 70
PH 7.5 to 8.0 ish
NO 2 0
NO3 0

I used Tetra water clarifier last night and i'd say water is approx. 30%
better but it says to wait approx. 48 hours.

The only thing i can think of is that I might have not rinsed all the gravel when I started my aquarium Is it possible to do a 80% water change will that help?

Need some professional guidance on this one problem.

Thank You
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210505_195307.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	320761   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210505_195332.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	320762  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210505_195324.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	320763   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210505_195311.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	320764  

Old 05-11-2021, 11:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well itís not colored necessary (green) so itís not a lack of filtration, or algae bloom, your bio load is safe as well. In your case I would leave the tank to settle. Wait about 5 days which is plenty of time to start seeing results. This is natural for new tanks, as substrate always clouds the water up somewhat. Hereís a secret though, look up activated carbon on Amazon, and use it in whatever filtration youíre running. Essentially it micro filters the water and it gets absolutely crystal clear. I mean you canít even tell thereís water in the tank clear. Consider purchasing some of the tank hasnít cleared up In a few days. This also prevents you from having to use harsh chemicals to clear the water up fast. If you do get the charcoal make sure to wash it for at least 10 minutes throughout the bag. It will color the water black, but after some time while washing itíll turn clear and then your youíre good. So to sum it all up, wait a few days for the tank to settle. If that doesnít work then dose accordingly with the water clarification chem. and go from there. Ordering some filter charcoal and it will help immensely and within a single day (this is my experience, Iím multiple tanks I am not putting a guarantee on it as things are constantly changing as well as countless variables.) best of luck and I hope I cleared some thoughts, and eventually your water up my friend!

Tags
cloud, cloudy, cloudy water, water, loud, ate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com