Cloudy water will not go away!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LocoLT1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 4 fiddler crabs, 2 red claw crabs and a couple snails in a 10g tank.

I have changed ALL the water and gottem what debris I could out of the tank TWICE now. The last change was last night. I woke up today to see the water just as cloudy as it was before I changed the water last night!!!

I don't get it. What could be the problem and how can I fix it?

Hi there, LocoLT1

Welcome to AA!!

Changing out all the water is NOT the recommended way of maintaining your
aquarium. Generally, you want to do "partial" water changes in sufficient quantities
to maintain optimum water quality!!

What's happening to you is you're seeing a "normal" haziness that occurs when
"NEW" water tries to "stabilize itself" thru normal buffering actions of the water!

At this point just relax and the haziness normally disappears on its own in a day or so.
Hope that helps.

Bernie

I concur with Bernie as well, my 10 gallon QT was very cloudy after 50% water change but overnight it stabilized itself and everything is great now.

Hey captain!!!

Where you from???

Be sure to join in our Tenn Regional forum, too!!

Bernie

Bernie said:
Hi there, LocoLT1

Welcome to AA!!

Changing out all the water is NOT the recommended way of maintaining your
aquarium. Generally, you want to do "partial" water changes in sufficient quantities
to maintain optimum water quality!!

What's happening to you is you're seeing a "normal" haziness that occurs when
"NEW" water tries to "stabilize itself" thru normal buffering actions of the water!

At this point just relax and the haziness normally disappears on its own in a day or so.
Hope that helps.

Bernie
I know, but the partial water change did not help. SO I did a complete water change

OK... I take it you've been having cloudy water probs for some time then.

With that said, its prob a case of overfeeding or not gravel-vacing your tank enough as you do the partial water changes??? Hard to say, until perhaps you can describe your maintaince routine and/or what you've done in the past.

Also, let us know if you've used any other water conditioning products (some
can do more harm than good).

Bernie

Bernie said:
OK... I take it you've been having cloudy water probs for some time then.

With that said, its prob a case of overfeeding or not gravel-vacing your tank enough as you do the partial water changes??? Hard to say, until perhaps you can describe your maintaince routine and/or what you've done in the past.

Also, let us know if you've used any other water conditioning products (some
can do more harm than good).

Bernie
I haven't been able to find a gravel vacuum that I can sue w/this tank. The ones I have found need to be fully submersed. My tank is only 1/2 full/ Not enough water to submerse the vacuum.

I definately do not overfeed.

I have only used 1 of those clear water drop things. I got it from petsmart

OK LocoLT.....

First, you can get smaller sized gravel-vacs; or start your reg-sized one by
filling it first with water, then inserting in the tank..keeping the smaller end lower
to go in a bucket, then grav-vac. Usually with crabs and so forth in little
amounts of water, its easy to get cloudy conditions.

Secondly, sounds like you used a "clear-aid" type block (one of those conditioners that I was referring to that are (in my opinion) a waste of money).

Bernie

Back
Top Bottom