Clown Knife Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Isaiah Adams

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently purchased a 6 inch clown knife fish to live with my juvenile silver arowana, firemouth, 2 angelfish, and african knife fish. I have had him for about a week and he has eaten and spit out everything I feed to him. I have done a 25% water change every other day but I don't know the water parameters. Assuming he lives through this, how fast do they grow on average. I am wondering if I will need to separate him with the other fish from the aro later. Here is a picture if anyone needs it. Thanks everyone! Image1483938628.521421.jpg

How soon can you get a water test kit???

What size tank is this? I would recommend a pwc, any time I wonder about what is going on.

Where did he come from, did you do a QT time? What was he eating at the place he came from? Live food?

Never had a clown knife, but as I understand it, they have the potential to grow fairly large; upwards of 24". Please remember that I know nothing about knife fish, but often, when I feed krill to my oscars, they'll grab one like they're starving, "chew" it for a bit, then spit it out, only to pick it up from the substrate a few minutes later. Is it possible your knife is doing this? But, I agree with Autumnsky: test your water, and never underestimate the power of a partial water change.

If he was wild caught he may not be used to our fish tank foods???

Maybe try defrosted frozen blood worms, or if your lfs has Brine shrimp, or eggs, you can grow them yourself.

Back
Top Bottom