clown loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jgeezer1986

Aquarium Advice Activist
Got a 55 FW setup. Want a clown loach ,but internet says they get big.. are the suitable for my 55 community tank?

3 sword tail
2 mollies
3 zebras
I have a little room to move some fish from tank to tank to get the neons out.. but i want everything else to stay.

Also looking into a group of four angles, pleco, red tail shark.. and dont know what else

Thanks

For the clown loach:
-Yes for one, BUT they require fellow clown loaches to feel safe and secure, at which point your tank will be too small.

For the Angels:
-Definitely NOT for 4 of them. One Angel should have a 29g tank minimum. I have 2 in my 50 gallon and wouldn't consider squeezing another one in there.

For the Pleco:
-It really depends on which kind you want. A common pleco can reach over 18 inches and your tank definitely would not be big enough for one (I've made that mistake with my 50 and currently have a common. I've had him for too long to consider getting rid of, but he prevents me from really having any plants or other bottom feeders in my tank.). If you wanted a pleco on the smaller side, say a bushy nose, you will be ok.

For the Red-Tailed Shark:
-One will be OK in your tank. If you plan on getting a single clown loach though, I would reconsider the shark since they both can get rather large (5+ inches). You also need to be careful of the mentality of the shark. Some specimens are more peaceful than others and it is a real crapshoot when it comes to getting one of them.

what about the bala shark? I see they can get to 14" and not sure that i want something that big. what would be a good recomendation for around 4-5" that would do the best in a pair. Also i have two tiger barbs i forgot to mention. They are very docile.. they stay to each other... i took a risk with only a pair and it paid off...

what about the bala shark? I see they can get to 14" and not sure that i want something that big. what would be a good recomendation for around 4-5" that would do the best in a pair. Also i have two tiger barbs i forgot to mention. They are very docile.. they stay to each other... i took a risk with only a pair and it paid off...

A bala shark definitely no. They absolutely require multiple specimens to feel secure and one alone is too large for your tank as they are lightning quick and need a lot of room to swim. Take a look on this website for ideas as to what to get:

http://aquahobby.com

I would get 3 more tiger barbs and a clown loach, the clown will feel comfortable around the school of barbs, much like it's with its own kind.

got to lps.. seen the larger version of the clown loach.. bought a small one. they wanted $90 for the big one.. i just got this small one for $10. When i got it home and got it into my tank, i realized it had ich. didnt see that at the pet store and i dont have my qt tank ready yet.. but i just got done treating for ich last week so maybe with any hope it will die off.. if not , going to medicate .. again

You will most likely have to treat for ich again, and since the other fish are weakened from already having it, they will most likely get it again too. Good luck, I hope they make it.

It may be too late but it is a tough lesson to learn: having a QT tank set up is a very very very good idea.

+1 to QTs. I have avoided the temptation to buy any fish since my battle with Ich because I don't have a QT yet. Definitely get your QT ready ASAP! I can't wait to get mine.

I currently have 5 juvi boesemani rainbows in my QT tank and, if nothing comes up, will be moving them to my main tank soon!

I have two midsized tiger barbs. The LPS had babys.. real small and i just want them.. will they get a long with my older ones? I want to get six of them and the bristlenose pleco like suggested before. If they will not , i will probably get four of the babys and two larger one close to the ones i have now.

Figured I would update:

New:
4 baby tiger barbs
2 blue gourami
1 clown loach

Baby tiger barbs get a long with two origonal tiger barbs instantly. Clown loach hangs around with the tiger barbs but the barbs move so much, it does not last long. Blue gourami's stay at top of tank all the time. Bigger one pokes at the smaller one every once in a while , but thats about it. I thought they favored mid tank leven. Normal? Only my second set

Update: Ich died.. no problem with it at all. Loach is doing wonderful. 4 baby tiger barbs are doing well.. grouped with two origonal tiger barbs well.. and garoumis are doing well

Back
Top Bottom