Clown Loach acting strange after medicating tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeckyB2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
I noticed some of my guppies and maybe m,y bristlenose plec had torn fins, so i treated for fin rot with Interpret anti fungus and finrot medication (it's an English brand), according to the dosage instructions on the bottle. I took the carbon out of my filter.
The medication needed to be dissolved in water first, and when i poured it into the tank, my clown loach (he's about 6 inches long, if that matters) immediately came out of the ornament he usually hides in and started swimming around; I did this about half an hour ago and he's still not returned to his barrel.
I know this isn't usually cause for complaint, but he's always been so shy, he'd never come out if i was near the tank, and only in the dark - but now, the light's on, i'm touching the glass in front of his face and he doesn't even seem to notice, he's gently bumping into the glass and trying (and usually failing) to fit through behind the filter, and he keeps swimming to the surface with his nose in the air. I've had him about 2 years, and he's never acted this way before. I know that lying on its side and swimming funny is typical behaviour for clown loaches, but it's so out of character for him.
I have two other, much smaller clown loaches and they seem unaffected - in fact all other fish seem fine except my loach and a single guppy who's lying on the floor.
Any thoughts about what might be going on? I'm really worried.

Scaleless fish are incredibly sensitive to medication. Do a 50% water change immediately and from now on, dose half the amount you normally would. Ideally, move him to a QT by himself so he doesnt come in contact with the medicine.

The medication said it was safe for all fish and filters - it didn't come with any warnings about medication?

Also I just did a 75% ish water change yesterday, will it be safe to do a 50% water change now?

If your clown loach is still freaking out, I would do the water change.

Medication bottles will say they are, but scaleless fish are incredibly sensitive to medication.

Also I just did a 75% ish water change yesterday, will it be safe to do a 50% water change now?

As long as your are doing the changes correctly, you can do it. Highly recommend the change ASAP if you haven't done so already or move the loaches to another tank if you have one ready.

Unfortunately I don't have another tank to put him in, but I've finished the water change and he seems much calmer - more or less back to his usual self again :)
Thank you both, I really appreciate your help. :)

Are you making sure to increase the amount of oxygen in your water?

After looking up reviews it appears this is common with this medication, people blame it on the phenoxyethanol. Say their fish either get really drowsy and listless or extremely active and agitated. Nobody reported casualties from it that I saw, but most ended up doing two massive water changes within 24 hours. Those that didn't said the product worked, just keep an eye on your fish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Unfortunately I don't have another tank to put him in, but I've finished the water change and he seems much calmer - more or less back to his usual self again :)
Thank you both, I really appreciate your help. :)

Glad to hear it! Hope everything clears up with the other fish.

I didn't no, I still have the bubbles created by the filter, and removing the carbon seems to have made more bubbles, but I didn't do anything else to increase the oxygen - I did wonder if that was what was wrong.
Ahh ok, that explains and describes their behaviour perfectly - he did seem kinda out of it - I was really worried I'd accidentally blinded him or something :s it's such a relief that it's a common problem which can be fixed - thank you for letting me know :D

They all seem fine again now :)
How do you know whether treatment for fin rot has worked or not? I assume the fins don't just heal instantly - is there any outward sign that they're healthy again? :)

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You might be able to see some new growth. If you are healing for finrot, StressCoat works well and scaleless fish don't mind it. It is a dechlorinator.

Okey dokey :) thank you!

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom