Clown loach rapid breathing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadowstars123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got some clowns, and I put them in a qt to check out any diseases. I didn't have time to monitor them that day, and a day later i saw a clown with extremely rapid breathing. What's wrong with it?

First thing that comes to mind is high nitrites/ammonia maybe nitrates. Second thing is that if you're injecting co2, there's too much. I suppose parasites are on the board, but if there's anything unusual, pics would help.

krap101 said:
First thing that comes to mind is high nitrites/ammonia maybe nitrates. Second thing is that if you're injecting co2, there's too much. I suppose parasites are on the board, but if there's anything unusual, pics would help.

No co2, 0 nitrite and ammonia. Pics will be posted tmmrw morning. It's swimming fine but not long, it's shy, and are parasites contagious

Yes parasites are contagious, that is why we QT. Is there enough O2 in the tank, do you have a bubbler or lots of surface agitation?

How long have you had them? Have you added any new fish lately? Is it possible that this loach has been breathing heavily the entire time? Although unlikely, it could be some sort of genetic issue, or maybe from past trauma (high levels of some chemical) but I think that parasite fits best currently. There's a type of parasite that resides in the gills of fish, and it slowly becomes harder and harder for them to breathe, although I have my doubts.

I think the most common is gill flukes, but I'd like someone else to confirm before you nuke your tank.

Also, post your tank specs (size, filter, heater, temp, etc)

krap101 said:
How long have you had them? Have you added any new fish lately? Is it possible that this loach has been breathing heavily the entire time? Although unlikely, it could be some sort of genetic issue, or maybe from past trauma (high levels of some chemical) but I think that parasite fits best currently. There's a type of parasite that resides in the gills of fish, and it slowly becomes harder and harder for them to breathe, although I have my doubts.

I think the most common is gill flukes, but I'd like someone else to confirm before you nuke your tank.

Also, post your tank specs (size, filter, heater, temp, etc)

I've had them for 2 days, and he's been breathing like that since i got him, just noticed few specks of ich. Size is 15 gallon qt, filter is a whisper 40 and aquatech 5-15, 50watt heater set to 82, also what's the best way to treat ich for clowns?

Back
Top Bottom