Clown loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rlking58

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but I am having trouble keeping alive clown loaches. I have a 55 gallon freshwater heavily planted tank with no CO2 4 medium angels 4 large Gourami-2 Blacktail tetra and two small rainbow - 2 Pleco & 2 Cory cats.

About three weeks ago I went to Petsmart and bought two clown Loach they lasted two days. I went back the next week and bought two more one lasted two days one lasted five days I was feeding them flake
food and loach pellets.

water parameters are well within normal range haven’t lost any other fish in months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clown loaches are very sensitive to ammonia levels. Check your water against Petsmarts and see if there is a difference.

I've been advised by employees, that at least two Petsmarts in my area treat their display tanks with a preventative dose of copper. Perhaps your noted Petsmart does that too. I'm not the go to guy for Loach info, but from what I understand Loaches are very sensitive to meds.
Maybe your Loaches were damaged or poisoned while on display at Petsmart. Just a thought.

A detailed description of how you introduce them to your tank? Maybe a bad batch. Check with PetSmart and ask them what day they get new fish in. This limits the time they are under care by PetSmart which maybe the problem.

Back
Top Bottom