Clown Loaches and Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shari13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I ended up with a cute lil snail after purchasing some plants and it wasnt until after I called to see what to feed the little guy that I learned they multiply, FAST! So, I got a few clown loaches who got control of the situation, quickly! I have since been going to Petsmart to get nuisance snails from their tanks. They always gave them freely. Now all of a sudden, absolutely NOT, "we cannot give you snails" (even though I could count 20+ in numerous tanks!). I offered to buy them, explaining that I use them as food. Nope, cant do that either. Stupid! So now, Im on the hunt of where I can order feeder snails for my Clowns. Any suggestions?

can you set up a 2gal tank and raise your own. Ramshorns breed great. they lay eggs every where. They grow fast on cucumber. If you don't give them calcium there shells stay brittle. My lg clown loaches make short work of them.

Maybe post a wanted ad in the classifieds section. There may be someone who wants to get rid of some snails and could ship them out to you.

eBay has listings for feeder snails. I saw an ad on Craigslist for pond snails.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I just wasnt sure if pond snails were okay? As far as the ramshorns, where do you get those? Sorry.. just uneducated in snails. lol I have bunches of little snails in my flowerbeds.. will those work or no? Just cautious as to what I put in there.

Did the person at the pet store tell you that Clown Loaches grow to be around 12" long? You didn't mention what size a tank you have...
The good news is that they grow pretty slowly. And, as mentioned above, you can feed them prepared fish foods like shrimp pellets and other sinking foods, along with meaty frozen foods like blood worms.

I have loads of ponds snails that I need to get rid of. If you are interested send me a message!

Back
Top Bottom