Clown Loaches Comparability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newhobbist

Aquarium Advice Activist
Would someone, please, take a look at my tank livestock in my signature and adviced whether I can add 1-2 Clown Loaches?

well you have a pretty large tank and a lot of fish, but the only obttom feeders i see are your pleco and your rainbow shark, so i would say go for it. I love my clown loaches, and remember they like to be in schools! They are very entertaining. ALthough you have a large bioload, you may need to do a lot of maintenance on your tank to keep up with it. I am considered overstocked, but i keep up with my water changes and maintenance and have good water quality, so if you do the same, it shouldn't be a problem.

Don't forget that the gudgeon is a bottom dweller, too. I think you are stocked, and with only the Emperor for filtration I would not get any clown loaches with your present setup. They get large, eventually.

I agree with TG. Your tank looks well stocked and because clown loaches get big and are messy eaters, I would not get any if I were you.

Blazeherd2306 said:
I agree with TG. Your tank looks well stocked and because clown loaches get big and are messy eaters, I would not get any if I were you.

I didn't know clown loaches were considered messy eaters, I always thought of mine as contributing to the overall cleanliness, because after they enthusiastically chomp on the stuff on the surface and as it falls, they spend quite a while snuffling about and digging in the gravel to eat food that got missed on the way down. I guess maybe they scatter little pieces or something that I don't notice.

As to the question, I'm sure the tank would be considered overstocked with some loaches, and probably already is, but then again overstocked isn't really a definite line. If you're trying to give fish as much space as they have in the wild, you'd probably have to put one tetra in a 500 gallon tank. The point is sort of to be overstocked so that you can see lots of cool fish doing stuff, and that's why we've got filtration systems and do water changes. I'm certainly no expert, but I bet adding three small clown loaches wouldn't make much of a difference in the setup you've got bioload-wise, and as has been pointed out, they won't be especially contested territorially on the bottom. My loaches are by far my favorites. IMHO, I say if you really want 'em and know that someday they'll get big and are willing to deal with that, then get 'em.

3 small clown loaches will quickly turn into 3 large clown loaches, so unless you plan on moving them, or some of the other fish, out of the tank as they grow, i don't see that it's a viable idea.

zenkatydid said:
3 small clown loaches will quickly turn into 3 large clown loaches
believe me, it'll not be quick. but i agree that they might tax the bioload a little bit more than desired.
and clowns are definitely not messy eaters. they clean up the bottom till it shines like a mirror :wink: .

Back
Top Bottom