Clown loaches in low end brackish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
For those of you that've seen me asking a million questions on here, you'll be happy to know I finally decided. Going to go with a figure 8 puffer brackish tank.

I need something to clean up all the algae, will clown loaches be ok in very low end brackish water? I'm talking 1.004ish kind of level.

Or any other algae eater that would work with this salinity?

Last edited:
Nope. From much experience, loaches do not like salt. Just ask my wife (user MissGurnus)- her kuhlis act really stressed whenever we add salt to the tank. It drives her crazy to see them like that. I have experienced this as well when I tried aquarium salt in the past to tanks with all sorts of loaches- clowns, angelicus, yoyos, etc. Most of them seem to be very uncomfortable with it- it's acceptable as a medication but I couldn't stand to see them live in it.

Plus, if I recall, all of your threads are about a 55 gallon? Clown loaches need a bare minimum 125 gallon/6 foot tank.

Oh, and clown loaches would help with algea as much as your puffers would. Botiid loaches primarily feed on invertebrates, especially snails. (Just like puffers!)

Can't speak for plecos!

Last edited:
no they will die, even in the lowest end. They are very sensitive and they don't help with algea.

I had puffers for a very long time and never had issues with algae. There is no fish that can do what water changes can do. I remember old timers telling me that when I first started and I didn't believe them. No I am saying it lol.

No tank "needs" an algae eater. Non planted tanks should face no issues with algae as long as a lighting schedule is maintained(no more than 8 hours daily).

You wont find many bottom feeders for brackish sadly. You could try Knight Gobies just give them plenty of hiding places as puffers are super territorial. IMO puffers are best kept species only.

Caleb

Plus, if I recall, all of your threads are about a 55 gallon? Clown loaches need a bare minimum 125 gallon/6 foot tank.!

Meh, you could keep them in a 75 for several years and sell them when they get too big. They don't get to 16" overnight.

But, yes, salt and loaches are a big no-no.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Meh, you could keep them in a 75 for several years and sell them when they get too big. They don't get to 16" overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, but you have to sell them to someone with an appropriate tank, and that's hard to come by. It is my opinion, and opinion only, that you just shouldn't get a fish if you can't provide for its entire lifespan....

Back
Top Bottom