Clown Loaches w/Black Spots - Normal or Diseased?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I originally posted this thread on the unhealthy fish board but I'm not sure if they are unhealthy...so I'm asking this on here for any clown loach owners who have seen similar spots. I bought two clown loaches a while ago for my 30 gal but then after research realized that they needed a bigger home. I gave them to my mom, who has a 100 gal. I still watch them whenever I'm over there (all the time) because they're awesome but the other day I noticed both of them have black spots on their fins and a few on their bodies....is this a disease or normal pigmentation? my internet research has shown mixed answers. It's really hard to get a picture but the spots are about 1/8th of an inch in diameter...not sure if that helps.

Any clown loach owners seen this before?

I know that loaches may have spots that are a mutation. Without a picture I can't be sure. Keep in mind that they will still need a bigger tank

I know that loaches may have spots that are a mutation. Without a picture I can't be sure. Keep in mind that they will still need a bigger tank

How big of a tank will they need? From what I've read that's what people recommend for clowns.

I'll try to get a pic when I'm over there later so you can see the spots

They need a school so I would say at least 300 gallons

Wow I was way off lol

I know she has been thinking about upgrading her set up to a bigger tank I will definitely push her to do it soon. There are only two in the tank right now so she will have to get more of them in the bigger tank

do you have a picture? did they just show up? I have a few and am learning they are hard to keep track of behavior-wise, but it will tell a lot about the overall health.

Back
Top Bottom