Clown pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justfishin17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've recently got a clown pleco for my tank however he is nocturnal. So, I haven't really seen the guy at all. Is there a way I can see him at night when he's active, mostly to see what I paid for but also to make sure he's healthy. Any ideas?

Feed your fish in the dark. Of course make sure there is enough light in the room that u can see in the tank just make sure the tank lights r off.

I've recently got a clown pleco for my tank however he is nocturnal. So, I haven't really seen the guy at all. Is there a way I can see him at night when he's active, mostly to see what I paid for but also to make sure he's healthy. Any ideas?

Haha, not much you can do sadly. Clown Plecos are notoriously difficult to catch out and about. I've seen mine once since I bought it a few months ago :oops:.

it's the same way with my sail fin pleco, i could count on one hand how many times i've seen him since i saw him a july or august.

Thank you all for your input. Are there any types of smaller pleco a that you suggest I could get that will be out during the day?

I'm upgrading my tank soon, and as much as I like my common sailfin, he's going away and I'm getting some cories. There very active and rarely if ever hide.

just to toss my 2 cents in... i about 5 weeks ago i picked up two Albino BNP (Bristle Nose Pleco) and i see them ALL the time scooting along the bottom and up and down the glass. i've heard on this forum and also read that for some strange reason the Albino BNP are extremely active at almost all hours day or night and in my experience its very true.

they are adorable and they max out at around 6-7" (I believe) but someone else my be better suited to give a max size.

Edit - From LiveAquaria.com:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+837+1039&pcatid=1039

it says "Bushy Nose" but i'm almost 100% positive they are they same fish, site also says max size is 4 1/2"

HopefulHobbiest said:
just to toss my 2 cents in... i about 5 weeks ago i picked up two Albino BNP (Bristle Nose Pleco) and i see them ALL the time scooting along the bottom and up and down the glass. i've heard on this forum and also read that for some strange reason the Albino BNP are extremely active at almost all hours day or night and in my experience its very true.

they are adorable and they max out at around 6-7" (I believe) but someone else my be better suited to give a max size.

it says "Bushy Nose" but i'm almost 100% positive they are they same fish, site also says max size is 4 1/2"

in my experience this is true. My BN pleco was always out and about 24/7
Also IME the Max size is more around 5 inches

HopefulHobbiest said:

Thank you!!! We will definitely look into those!

I'm gonna looke into bristle noses, thanx, now what special car will pleco need, if any? I'd like 2 of them.

Lt. said:
I'm gonna looke into bristle noses, thanx, now what special car will pleco need, if any? I'd like 2 of them.

They benefit from driftwood in the aquarium. You should get male and female, they're pretty easy to breed from What I've read.

I have a clown pleco in my 29. I do look for it, but I'm lucky to see it twice a month. Very good hisses and they love the night time. Get a red light, this may help to see yours at night.

I followed the advice and I got a little bristlenose. I love him! He is so active and all over my tank throughout the day. Thank you!

They benefit from driftwood in the aquarium. You should get male and female, they're pretty easy to breed from What I've read.

They MUST have driftwood as part of their diet. My two BN plecos are chomping on the driftwood almost all day. It helps their digestion tract.

That being said, mine were too young to sex when I bought them and unless you buy them at a LFS (not PetSmart, Petco, Walmart) they probably won't know how to sex them anyway. If you're truly interested in breeding BN plecos, order a breeding pair off AquaBid.com.

They do love the driftwood. I've also noticed that my clown pleco has gotten a little more brave and I've been able to watch him at night with the light from my phone. I put an algae wafer in for him and he was quite tough in chasing off the other fish from the wafer.

Back
Top Bottom