Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
FishRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MN
Posts: 267
Clown pleco

So I purchased my clown pleco about 2 weeks ago and I have only seen him once... I have a 55 gal community fish fw with a piece of driftwood and fake plants. I also have 2 of the rocks that have holes in them and I cave looking thing and I'm pretty sure he always stays in the cave with my kuhili loach.. Any suggestions of maybe getting him out of there? Or is that what clown plecos do? I'm not even sure if he's getting enough food? I haven't bought any algae wafers because he's never outside of the tank.
__________________

__________________
FishRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mlani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 1,153
My clown is over 7 years old and still hides. He comes out at night when lights are out.
__________________

__________________
Mlani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
FishRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MN
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlani View Post
My clown is over 7 years old and still hides. He comes out at night when lights are out.
Wow that's a really long time, ahh that kinda sucks though I'd really like to see him.
__________________
FishRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragonfisher33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,963
plecos of any kind always hide underneath a piece of driftwood, rock, or whatever crevice/space they can find. they're not that sociable when it comes to community tanks. so if you want they to swim across the tank and back like regular school fish such as tetras, then i wish you good luck
__________________
dragonfisher33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
FishRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MN
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by huizheng1988 View Post
plecos of any kind always hide underneath a piece of driftwood, rock, or whatever crevice/space they can find. they're not that sociable when it comes to community tanks. so if you want they to swim across the tank and back like regular school fish such as tetras, then i wish you good luck
I was expecting that... I was expecting them to be on the side of my driftwood and or rocks
__________________
FishRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mlani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 1,153
If you want something you can see more often try bristle nose plecos. They are still elusive but not nearly as bad as the clowns.
__________________
Mlani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
FishRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MN
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlani View Post
If you want something you can see more often try bristle nose plecos. They are still elusive but not nearly as bad as the clowns.
I'm not a huge fan of how the bn look. Ill just stick with my clown for now
__________________
FishRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragonfisher33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishRus View Post
I was expecting that... I was expecting them to be on the side of my driftwood and or rocks
yes, they're always on the side of decor that's hidden from plain side. my pleco would be underneath a piece of driftwood and away from plain sight. so if i'm lucky, i would see him once in a while. other times, i simply forget i have him in the first place
__________________
dragonfisher33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
FishRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MN
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by huizheng1988 View Post

yes, they're always on the side of decor that's hidden from plain side. my pleco would be underneath a piece of driftwood and away from plain sight. so if i'm lucky, i would see him once in a while. other times, i simply forget i have him in the first place
Hmmm well that kind of sucks ha. I should have done a little more research and maybe got a different algae eater
__________________
FishRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
JRMagno's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Camp Pendleton, CA
Posts: 114
The only time I see my clown pleco is when I occasionally move things around to vacuum. If I look very close I might get a glimpse of him here and there, but he's never on the glass like the common pleco I had before I learned how big they get.
__________________
JRMagno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
FishRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MN
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMagno View Post
The only time I see my clown pleco is when I occasionally move things around to vacuum. If I look very close I might get a glimpse of him here and there, but he's never on the glass like the common pleco I had before I learned how big they get.
Yup that's the only time I've seen mine. Yeah I also made sure I didn't get a pleco that got really big. There were a couple other plecos that I really liked then ask how big they got and was like yeah... That's not going to work for me ha
__________________
FishRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragonfisher33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishRus View Post
Hmmm well that kind of sucks ha. I should have done a little more research and maybe got a different algae eater
if you're looking for algae eaters i would suggest otos. they have small bioloads and do heck of a job in cleaning up the fish tank. plus, you actually SEE them moving around. if you have the tank size, siamese algae eater is best algae eater out there. if you're currently overstocking your fish tank, adding a couple nerite snails wouldn't increase the bioload that much, not to mention they will eat algae and left-over food from your tank.
__________________
dragonfisher33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
FishRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MN
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by huizheng1988 View Post

if you're looking for algae eaters i would suggest otos. they have small bioloads and do heck of a job in cleaning up the fish tank. plus, you actually SEE them moving around. if you have the tank size, siamese algae eater is best algae eater out there. if you're currently overstocking your fish tank, adding a couple nerite snails wouldn't increase the bioload that much, not to mention they will eat algae and left-over food from your tank.
Yeah I'm pretty stocked already for fish. You think going with snails would be a better choice? I just don't want my fish bothering or eating the snails
__________________
FishRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragonfisher33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishRus View Post
Yeah I'm pretty stocked already for fish. You think going with snails would be a better choice? I just don't want my fish bothering or eating the snails
what do you have in your fish tank already? from what i know, most fish won't bother the snails. snails such as the japanese trapdoor and the nerite snails do well in tanks that don't have aggressive fish or fish that eat snails. and you don't have to worry about population explosion as you would with regular pond snails.
__________________
dragonfisher33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
JRMagno's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Camp Pendleton, CA
Posts: 114
The other option is to adjust your lighting power or time to reduce algae in your tank. Adding fish or inverts to control algae can become an ongoing issue, when you can take care of the issue from the source. Algae is generally caused by an imbalance in nutrients and light, find the correct balance for your tank and you're set.
__________________
JRMagno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
FishRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MN
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by huizheng1988 View Post

what do you have in your fish tank already? from what i know, most fish won't bother the snails. snails such as the japanese trapdoor and the nerite snails do well in tanks that don't have aggressive fish or fish that eat snails. and you don't have to worry about population explosion as you would with regular pond snails.
I have 9 tetras
2 DG
1 clown pleco
2 rainbow sharks
1 kuhili loach
1 Bolivian ram
2 Cory's

I also want to make sure my pleco has enough algae also.. It's not like my tank is just filled with algae I just get spots of it on my tank walls once in awhile.
__________________
FishRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
FishRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MN
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMagno View Post
The other option is to adjust your lighting power or time to reduce algae in your tank. Adding fish or inverts to control algae can become an ongoing issue, when you can take care of the issue from the source. Algae is generally caused by an imbalance in nutrients and light, find the correct balance for your tank and you're set.
Well I have my light on a timer and its set for 10-12 then 6 to 10. I'm not sure about the whole nutrients issue. I need to buy a good test kit, do you know of any?
__________________
FishRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragonfisher33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishRus View Post
I have 9 tetras
2 DG
1 clown pleco
2 rainbow sharks
1 kuhili loach
1 Bolivian ram
2 Cory's

I also want to make sure my pleco has enough algae also.. It's not like my tank is just filled with algae I just get spots of it on my tank walls once in awhile.
with the current stocking, i would suggest the nerite snails as none of your fish pose any sort of danger to the wellbeing of the snails.

a note on plecos: as they mature and age, they become increasingly aggressive, not whole lot but you can definitely tell the change. their diet also changes from mainly vegetative to a need for meaty food. hence that's why you see a lot of plecos hovering over dead fish whenever they get the chance to. the the thing about snails is that they're maintenance FREE!!! They will clean up after themselves and find food on their own so you don't have to worry about whether there's enough algae or whatever.
__________________
dragonfisher33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragonfisher33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishRus View Post
Well I have my light on a timer and its set for 10-12 then 6 to 10. I'm not sure about the whole nutrients issue. I need to buy a good test kit, do you know of any?
API master test kit is a good choice. don't get the strip testing kit cuz they're known to be inaccurate.
__________________
dragonfisher33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
JRMagno's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Camp Pendleton, CA
Posts: 114
The API freshwater master test kit is a much. Since you don't have any live plants you're not adding any nutrients, which means the algae is most likely cause by light. 6 hours really isn't excessive, so my only guess is that your light might be too powerful for your tank. I believe your loach will eat any snails you put in, but I'm not entirely certain?
__________________

__________________
JRMagno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
clown, pleco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.