Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2007, 03:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to guppy12
Clown Pleco Advice and Info WANTED

Today I got a Clown Pleco at our LFS, he is about an inch. Im not really sure if it is a he or she.... how do you tell? I know they stay small so thats why I got him to go in my 20. I have never had a pleco before, I only know they poop alot! It seems dandy. I have algae wafers, shrimp pellets, variety pellets and sinking carnivore pellets. So I think I got food covered. Any thing else I should know about these little devils? Would a betta pick on it or vice versa? I have a good lever of algae it can eat too.

I will try to get pictures up by tonight
Thanks

Old 02-04-2007, 03:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have one, they are very timid and don't bother other fish. Mine comes out of hiding if I throw an algae wafer in. I can always see him even though he hides under the plants. Much of his feeding is from the gravel.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Pleco Send a message via Yahoo to Pleco
Hmm, my clown is pretty active. He sucks on the side of the tank, isnt very shy at all. He is also very protective of his food, ive seen him lunge at a few fish. My Bolivian charged back one day and that ended that behavior though

Fish personalities though they can be assumed from their traits are just like people in my opinion, no matter what species they are they will always have their own personality that may break the mold of what is expected from the fish breed.

My clown is my avatar
Old 02-04-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've got a clown as well. I think he's awesome. Mine is actually not as shy as I expected. Some days I"ll see him hanging upside down on the underside of a rock, others he's sucking on the glass not bothered by any of the other fish that swim near it. He also seems to like sucking on the filter (I have a biowheel, so the part that sucks the water in). I think he likes it because algae kind of grows on it. I haven't seen mine on the driftwood at all, though I've heard they like driftwood. I've fed mine cucumber a few times as well. The first time I put a piece in (at night) it was almost all gone by morning (none of my other fish showed any interest in it, so I'm sure it was the Clown). Good luck!
Old 02-04-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I used to have a clown pleco and he loved driftwood. He was always on it. If you can get him a piece. They do stay small so they are a good choice for smaller tanks. Also the betta should not bother him at all.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Clown plecos are actually one of the wood eating plecos--so they really do need driftwood in their tank. They also like veggies as well as other foods. I'm not sure they're great algae eater though... I doubt they'll have any problems with the betta and should be great for a 20 gallon tank.

Tags
clown, pleco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com