Clown Pleco & Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltair

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i have been reading up on Clown Pleco's and have found online some info that wasn't in a book I had. All the info I am finding indicates that driftwood is critical for keeping these fish, not just for hiding but for food. Can they eat the typical pet store drift wood or do I need something special? Is there a way to keep them without driftwood? I wasn't planning on wood in this tank and with incomplete information, newbie mistake, I have one in a totally artificial tank. He has a great hiding place that he loves, but I dont want to deny critical nutrition. I aslo read they should from time to time be given meats. How do you do that? Can I just use sinking pellets? I could move him to a planted tank with store bought drift wood, but it has two cories in it, and I understand they dont always get along with cories and will tear up my plant. The Cories are spastic and all over the tank. I would rather not disrupt them. Advice?

i have one with 5 Cory's in a 46 GAL. the only thing they may be a little territorial of there hiding spot.

My girlfriend has one in her 29g tank and she doesn't have any natural driftwood in her tank. He lives off the algae and does a pretty good job at cleaning. She hasn't had any problems

I have a clown pleco and he *loves* his driftwood. Based on what I've read they do require driftwood for complete nutrition. They might be able to survive without it, but not thrive. I would ere on the side of caution and put some driftwood in the tank. The piece I used it rather small measuring about 7 inches across and 3-4 inches deep. Clown plecos max out at around 4-5 inches. Hope this helps.

-=CG=-

Source: Clown Pleco

Always include plenty of driftwood in the set up; it will function as both food and shelter. In the wild, Clown plecos spend most of their time inside driftwood tangles in the main river channels.

This is one of the articles I read. Is pet shop driftwood ok? I wonder if it has been treated something that they shouldn't eat.

Back
Top Bottom