Clown Pleco feeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big.Jon

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I put a clown pleco in on of my tanks to help with alge problem. He has been in the tank 3 days now doesn't seem to be eating much of the alge if any. He does a good job of keeping himself hidden during the day but I have caught him all over the tank at night. So my questions are is the alge in the tank enough to keep him feed? Do I need to be adding other food for him, I have alge discs and weekend feeders I could drop in but would really like to get rid.of the over growing amounts of alge. The tank is planted so I try to keep the lights on at least 9-10 he's a day so that of coarse is helping the alge grow.

from my experiencce with my clown pleco he is only a little guy probably 3 inches long or so... he hides alll day... but when the lights go out.. he is a serious scavanger. he is too small to eat everything right now but they are slow growers and it will take a while for him to be able to handle the whole tank. my advice would be to just let him do his thing .. you won't see him much during the dday hours with lights on... but when they go out .. he will come out aswell, and clean what he can

Once you don't see any algae in the tank, you'll need to begin suplementing with a good quality algae wafer and blanched veggies such as zucchini. It's also crucial there is wood in the tank. Clown plecos must have wood to feed on, their gut requires it to properly digest their food.

Clown pleco's eat wood, not much help for algae. Bristlenose pleco's or Oto's are more useful for cleaning algae.

Back
Top Bottom