Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

CO2

A month or so ago I swapped my tanks over to sand, and decided to get live plants. My plants look great, and are growing well. I have been reading up on CO2, and how important it is in a planted aquarium. I am getting ready to set up a DIY yeast bottle this morning. What are y'all's thoughts on DIY CO2? I only have one planted tank, and its 30 gallons. I have read that plants will grow greener, faster, and stronger with CO2 in the water...

Old 05-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yes, co2 is important in plant growth. It's important to watch your fish (look for signs of stress such as gasping for air) for any sign that you may be dosing too much. How will you be diffusing your co2? DIY co2 is a good option for beginners or people on a budget, but it can be less reliable (you usually have to replace the mixture every few weeks). If you are really set on co2, I suggest getting pressurized co2 (a co2 tank and regulator) because it is more reliable, controllable and easier to use.

How big is the bottle you are using? You may need 2 bottles (both full of mix) to produce enough co2 for that size tank.

maxwellag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellag View Post
Yes, co2 is important in plant growth. It's important to watch your fish (look for signs of stress such as gasping for air) for any sign that you may be dosing too much. How will you be diffusing your co2? DIY co2 is a good option for beginners or people on a budget, but it can be less reliable (you usually have to replace the mixture every few weeks). If you are really set on co2, I suggest getting pressurized co2 (a co2 tank and regulator) because it is more reliable, controllable and easier to use.

How big is the bottle you are using? You may need 2 bottles (both full of mix) to produce enough co2 for that size tank.
I have one of those glass diffusers that you connect the airline tubing to. I watched a video on how to set up two bottles, and stagger them. When you have to replace one, the other will still be going strong! Will the co2 be ok for my snails? I am using two 2 liter bottles, and a smart water bottle to separate.

Tags
co2

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com