Co2 diffuser recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hortoholic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I am seeking an Diffuser that would actually kind of mix the co2 with the water. I am not sure how effective a normal airstone would be. In an airstone the co2 will just be released into the surrounding air and not into the water. This is a DIY yeast/sugar generator. I am not really sure if it would be pointless with an airstone. Would I leave it running all day? If you have any recommendations that would be great.

hortoholic

intake of the filter or power head is the best ways i think. there are other ways though such as building a reactor... some use chop sticks...

If you are going to use an airstone a limewood or ceramic airstone would work better under your filer intake.

There is a company called aquatic magic that makes a diffuser called the nano diffuser that is compatible with DIY co2 that I have heard is pretty good also, though I have never had one.

And yes in DIY co2 you would have to leave it running all day or else the system would lose the pressure. While your light is on it shouldn't be a problem, but once you turn your light off at night the plants wont use the co2, it is best to use an airstone at night to create surface agitation and off gas the co2 in your tank while the lights are off.

Would that reduce the efficiency of the filter? I have a 5-15 Aqua-tech HOB filter. and I also have a 3 gallon air driven filter on a 10 gallon freshwater tank.

I don't believe it will, the purpose of placing it under the filter intake is for the bubbles to get sucked into the filter and chopped up in the impeller making them smaller and releasing the Co2 into the water.

I don't believe it will, the purpose of placing it under the filter intake is for the bubbles to get sucked into the filter and chopped up in the impeller making them smaller and releasing the Co2 into the water.
with out the chance of sucking the air out of the bottle and the mixture into the tank.

wont effect the filter.

I have found a Tom's mini internal submersible filter for a power head and it has a spray bar attached. This is convenient because on this spray-bar, there are many holes. as indicated by the horribly drawn diagram below. Where the 0's are the outlets. I was thinking if taking some airline tubing and "plug it in" of you will. It just so happens it is the same size. The theory behind this is that the co2 will go through the airline tube and and make contact with the water. Sort of the same way as a "bell" would work and then be ejected into the water. or I could just insert it in the power head itself. Would my first suggestion be effective?

co2
||
||
-0-0-0-0-0-#### ## <-- Powerhead
c c c c <- Co2 mixed with water water
c c c c

WWWWWWWW <- Aquarium water level

Back
Top Bottom