Co2 Drop checker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bullyboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
So im setting up my drop checker and im not sure about a couple things...

When you mix the 4dkh and solution, do you mix them till its blue? Is that how you know its right?

Where should it be placed? High/low, Close/far from the Co2 diffuser?

Hiw long does it take to react and how accurate is it as a detection of Co2 in the water column?
...that is id like to be sure my stock will be safe by it?

Finally can someone explain this chart?

1479274085921.jpg

So im setting up my drop checker and im not sure about a couple things...

When you mix the 4dkh and solution, do you mix them till its blue? Is that how you know its right?

Where should it be placed? High/low, Close/far from the Co2 diffuser?

Hiw long does it take to react and how accurate is it as a detection of Co2 in the water column?
...that is id like to be sure my stock will be safe by it?

Finally can someone explain this chart?

View attachment 291016

It should be blue. Does it not give you directions on how much to add of each?

Place it midway up on the opposite side of the diffuser.

Probably about 2-3 hours behind. That's one of the reasons I turn my co2 on 2 hours before the lights come on.

Fairly accurate. They are just a glorified ph test kit despite the marketing jargon.

The chart is simple. If you look at this chart here:

http://www.barrreport.com/forum/barr-report/co2-enrichment/11862-co2-ph-kh-table

You will see that at 4dKh (your solution) and a ph of 6.6 you will have added 30ppm of co2 to your tank.

The chart you have posted says ph 6.8 equals normal because it falls in the acceptable range on the chart and is indicated by a green colour from the ph reagent on the drop checker.

Too much co2 means ph is too low (in the drop checker) and that means the reagent turns yellow. Too less co2 and the ph remains high indicated by a blue reagent in the drop checker.

Change the fluids with every water change.

Hope the helps.

Edit: I've edited the numbers to read better because apparently I can't read this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_1479292331.597332.jpg
    IMG_1479292331.597332.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Well the soulution says 5 drops but that just turns it very dark green when added to the 4dkh soulution.
So i kept adding trying to make it blue...10 drops later....nothing.

My checker is small though too, doesnt even hold 5ml.

So i just put 1 drop in and added 4dkh solution till it turned blue

Well the soulution says 5 drops but that just turns it very dark green when added to the 4dkh soulution.
So i kept adding trying to make it blue...10 drops later....nothing.

My checker is small though too, doesnt even hold 5ml.

So i just put 1 drop in and added 4dkh solution till it turned blue

Hmmm not sure then. I used a premixed solution which made it much easier. If it's blue then it should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom