CO2 in tanks and plant questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eduguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is CO2 an absolute must for heavily planted tanks with low stocking?
Does Flourish or Flourish Excel help alot?
Which plants are good for a 10g?
Which plants are good for a 2.5g with a betta and driftwood?

Co2 is not an absolute must. Adding carbon, either by co2 or liquid carbon (excel/glut) helps regardless, but some other factors determine just how badly it's needed. It mostly depends in your lights. The brighter they are, the higher chance you will need carbon. If your tank is small enough, liquid carbon or DIY CO2 works fine because it's not overly expensive. Once you get into the larger tanks, say 30g+, DIY typically isn't enough and liquid carbon gets crazy expensive.

Co2 is not an absolute must. Adding carbon, either by co2 or liquid carbon (excel/glut) helps regardless, but some other factors determine just how badly it's needed. It mostly depends in your lights. The brighter they are, the higher chance you will need carbon. If your tank is small enough, liquid carbon or DIY CO2 works fine because it's not overly expensive. Once you get into the larger tanks, say 30g+, DIY typically isn't enough and liquid carbon gets crazy expensive.

I have about 15 watt flourescent tube on 10g.
I watched a video on DIY CO2. Have you tried it?

That lighting will not grow a whole lot in the way of plants. You could get away with some Aubias, Java Fern, Java Moss, maybe Anarcharis. Depending on how heavily you stock the tank with plants, you might not need any glut or co2 at all. I have a tank with a few anubias and java ferns, with similar flourescent lighting, and dose nothing at all.
Unless you plan to upgrade your lights, you wont really need to worry about co2. Regarding doing DIY co2, it is quite easy, and works well in small tanks, but with a 10 gallon, liquid co2 is a fairly cheap simple option.

That lighting will not grow a whole lot in the way of plants. You could get away with some Aubias, Java Fern, Java Moss, maybe Anarcharis. Depending on how heavily you stock the tank with plants, you might not need any glut or co2 at all. I have a tank with a few anubias and java ferns, with similar flourescent lighting, and dose nothing at all.
Unless you plan to upgrade your lights, you wont really need to worry about co2. Regarding doing DIY co2, it is quite easy, and works well in small tanks, but with a 10 gallon, liquid co2 is a fairly cheap simple option.

Liquid CO2 is like Excel right?
Any other plants?

Yes. Seachem Excel and API co2 booster are the most commonly found brands. You can also buy liquid glut online in large jugs and dilute with distilled water.
Search for low light aquatic plants online, but there isnt a lot that will thrive in standard flourescent lighting.
Check out the planted tank forum on here, the people on there are amazing and full of advice, they pretty much taught me everything I know about the planted tank world.
Ps.....plants are addicitve, you start with a few, and before you know it, you have an entire jungle growing in your high tech setup and an empty wallet, lol....but its totally worth it ;-)

Yes. Seachem Excel and API co2 booster are the most commonly found brands. You can also buy liquid glut online in large jugs and dilute with distilled water.
Search for low light aquatic plants online, but there isnt a lot that will thrive in standard flourescent lighting.
Check out the planted tank forum on here, the people on there are amazing and full of advice, they pretty much taught me everything I know about the planted tank world.
Ps.....plants are addicitve, you start with a few, and before you know it, you have an entire jungle growing in your high tech setup and an empty wallet, lol....but its totally worth it ;-)

I thought florescent tubes were good?

There are different levels of light that fluorescent lights will give. Most of the 'standard' lights -those that come with the tank- are in the low light range, which limits your options. Upgrading to high-output (HO) opens up options, but usually requires an upgraded fixture

If you are talking about your 10 g tank, I wouldn't freak out. Most options of traditional low light plants as well as some med light plants can be grown with the traditional bulb. I have a 20 long with just the traditional bulb and am growing crypts, anubius and even a couple swords without trouble. I also have a 29 gallon that I am operating a t5ho on. Same types of plants. Both tanks are doing well and growth rate is very simular. I only upgraded the 29 because it is a tall tank and I wanted to ensure sufficient light reached to bottom.

As far as Excel or co2, I wanted to see if Flourish Excel made a difference as well. So I dosed with it in my 29 for about 6 months. I stopped and haven't used it in about 4. The difference is quite noticable. My plants do not grow nearly as fast or reproduce as much. The main difference is that this lack of grow has allowed algae to compete more and spread much faster than normal. I am in the process of upgrading the tank and will most definetly be dosing with it again when I do.

Co2 really comes in play with high light systems. For a 10 gal a DIY could most definetly be an option. If there isn't enough light the CO2 won't be used as well by the plants.

I had this before, 14w on a 10g, and I can confirm you don't need any ferts or excel dosing.

Now this is my QT tank, and java fern/moss grow without algae.

Carbon is for med/high lighting tanks. Best carbon source IMO is Pressurized CO2, but I still dose Excel as it's a good algae killer. I use it to spot treat BBA with seringe when I dose it.

Back
Top Bottom